Chapter 11

"Soulmates exist."

After hearing this one sentence, it felt like my whole world shattered. I never believed in soulmates my entire life although society had been preaching the romantic aspect of being soulmates for as long as I could remember.

Yet as Zero's words left his lips, I instantly knew that it was nothing but the truth. And it scared me. It scared me because it was different. Because I felt different. All these weird waves of emotions, sensations and even the voice in my head suddenly had a reason. And it wasn't because of a mere illness I had since childhood. It was far more than that.

Never in my life had I been into this whole romance kind of thing. I was content with the small circle of people I loved and never thought of needing more. And to be honest, one of the reasons I never even wanted more was because I was scared of losing them.

The more you loved, the more you had to lose. And losing my parents caused the worst time of my whole life, so I didn't want to take the risk of loving again. I sighed as I slowly lifted my gaze from the ground, looking into Zero's eyes which were calmly watching me.

"Don't worry. Us being soulmates won't change anything." His voice was cold and stern, not having any trace of emotions as he said that. I furrowed my eyebrows.
"How come? I mean, aren't soulmates supposed to..." Thinking about the book Jess bought me, I tried to form a sentence. "...supposed to love each other and all that?"

"So do you love me?" My stomach turned upside down as he asked that. I immediately shook my head.
"No, I didn't mean that - it's just..." It's just when I look at you, my feelings seem to get messed up and I don't know if I really like it or not. But I couldn't say that out loud, so I just closed my mouth, fidgeting with my fingers.

I knew that I wasn't being myself right now. The real me was never this nervous. The real me was never so unsure of something. And moreover, the real me never felt something like this for a mere stranger. I definitely wasn't in love or something like that - all of these feelings were just out of my control.

"Look, I do hope that we share the same thoughts regarding this whole soulmate issue." Zero slightly grimaced as he emphasized the last two words. His eyes disregarding the fact that we actually were what we were.

"And that would be?", I asked. Why did he seem to care yet hate me so much at the same time? I really didn't get it.
"Well, I don't need a soulmate. It's just unnecessary." Zero sighed, crossing his arms in front of him while leaning back against a wall. "Don't you think so, too?" He raised an eyebrow.

Actually, yes. I thought that these feelings were unnecessary, as well. But that was before I knew soulmates actually existed. Was it really possible to just ignore our bond - just like that?

"I know you do kind of think like that, Elle." He said as I didn't answer his question.
"How do you know?"
"Because I can't get in your head all the time. You don't let me in." He shrugged as if it was nothing to pry in my mind.
"What do you mean you tried to get into my head?"

"Normally when soulmates meet and are open for each other, they share everything. Their senses, emotions and thoughts. There is no barrier. But I couldn't feel or read yours when we first met. It's only sometimes that I get to know what you think and feel."

There was no sense of regret for trying to pry inside my head or similar. He only said it as a matter of fact. Was it possible for an apparent soulmate to not care for the other, as well? Didn't he ever feel what I felt?

"You're right. I don't need all of that," I firmly said after pondering for a while. Why would I care if he liked me or not? Or if he felt the same way as I did? I didn't even know him.
"Good. That's all I needed to know," was all he said when he suddenly turned around and walked towards the door. What?