51

After several near wakes with sleep plucking her right into its depths each time, Eva finally forced herself to really wake up. Her first thought was that she was lying in the backseat of a moving car.

When did she go from enjoying herself at June's party to being kidnapped?

She shot up her torso to sit down, noticing the driver who was wearing a Santa outfit and a Santa cap, but she couldn't see his face.

“Who are you? Where are you taking me?” She spat frantically, panic ensuing. “Listen, just tell me what you want and I'll arrange it to be given to you myself. No need for the ransom calls and all.”

Her brows furrowed when the person behind the wheel chuckled because the sound was too damn familiar. Her heart leapt when he tilted to look at her.

It was Adam, looking so comical with the fake white beard on his chin that she could've found it amusing.

Could have, because in that moment she was furious.

“Believe me love, what I want has nothing to do with money.” A sexy smirk accompanied the sexy drawl in his voice.

Eva felt the clenching of desire inside her veins and she quickly shut off the reaction. This was kidnapping.

“Adam Garcia, where the heck do you think you're taking me? Send me back right now!”

She looked through the windows and realized for the first time that they were speeding up a highway with only vegetation lining either sides of the road.

“Ease up, sweetheart. We'll get there soon.” Adam said, his voice unbothered.

That made Eva fume more. “I don't care where you're taking me. Just U-Turn and take me back to June's house. Else I swear I will throw myself out of this car.”

“Jeez, is being with me in the same car so bad?” He asked, glancing back briefly at her with widened eyes. She made a sound to answer him in a firm positive. ”Fine, let's get there first and I'll arrange a flight for you.”

There was a dubious edge to his tone that made her grimace, highly doubting that he meant what he was saying. She crossed her arms in brooding silence as the drive continued.

The jerk didn't even try to make conversation, not that she would've entertained any attempt he made.

The scenery began to turn to a less dense vegetation, then tall mountain peaks cocooned in snow began appearing. The familiar scene had her tensing.

Her suspicions were confirmed about an hour later when Adam meandered down the homestretch that lead to his cabin in Jackson Hole. The snow on the ground had slowed them down considerably. His cabin soon came into view.

Looking at the cozy building, Eva had to erect all her defenses. This was the place where so many wonderful memories were born with Adam, some filled with laughing, and some with a ton of passion. It's roof was sheathed in snow just like the trees around.

“Damn snow.” Adam finally pulled up in front of his cabin, turning the ignition.

He got out after pulling the car keys and got out his car, rounding to the front passenger seat. Eva noticed for the first time a bag of groceries in the seat as he took it. Just how long had he been expecting them to be here?

He peered into the car at her. “Coming in or gonna stay in the car forever?”

He closed the door and started the walk towards the porch. The confidence with which he spoke irked her. Getting out of the car, she slammed the door shut and stormed towards him, thanking god that last night she'd worn an outfit which required her to wear shoes. She blocked his path.