23

Downing the last bit of her champagne, Eva set the crystal flute on a passing waitress's tray as she walked on with a for-the-guests smile on her face until she got to the arched stairs on the left.

She hurried up the stairs, needing to be alone to fight off the batallion of desire and other emotions that were attacking her after just some minutes of being near Adam.

Getting to the top of the stairs, she took the west wing, going pass the several rooms the large mansion housed and into the restroom that was at the end of the hallway.

She closed the door behind her and stepped forward into the bathroom, gazing at herself in the mirror.

She hadn't put on any blush today but her cheeks were crimson red, more from her want for Adam than embarrassment.

Resisting the urge to splash some water on her face despite her makeup being waterproof, Eva placed her hands on the two ends of the sink and leaned her weight on it, blowing out a sigh as she looked down at the sinkholes.

Focus, Eva, focus. You're getting married and that's what you should think about. You need to tear Adam out of your mind.

She repeated those words in her head over and over again like a mantra, but the empty feeling the thought of marrying Brandon brought still lingered.

The door clicked open but Eva didn't bother to turn since they'd placed a small for female sign on the door. After a while when she didn't hear the click of heels, she looked up to check who had entered, and she flinched when the mirror reflected Adam leaning against the door and gazing at her with grim determination.

She spun around, heart suddenly careening violently against her ribcage. God the man could rattle her so effortlessly in a matter of seconds.

“What the heck are you doing here? In case you didn't see it, there's a for females sign on the door."

“Oh I did see it." Still leaning against the door, he shoved both of his hands into his pockets, shrugging. “As for why I'm here, you left to come while we were still talking so I assumed you wanted us to talk somewhere more private.”

“Do you realize what this could cause?" She shot at him angrily. “This is my engagement, Adam. What do you expect people to think when they walk in to find you here? They're gonna assume things.”

“Well, they wouldn't have to assume.”

Before Eva could even enquire what he meant by that, he'd crossed over and severed the distance between them.

Stepping too close for her sanity, he rested both of his hands on the sink on either side of her, preventing any possible escape.

“What the hell do you want, Adam?" She demanded, exasperated, his warmth making her tingle.

“Cancel your wedding with Brandon. Don't get engaged tonight. Not ever.”

Her breath caught, and she would've sneered at the demand if not for the plea she sensed throbbing in the calmly spoken words.

She scanned his face to ascertain whether he was being serious. His expression was blank, eyes gazing into hers stormily and yet giving nothing away, but his lower half pressing against hers insistently made her realize he meant his words.

Glaring into his eyes, she forced a chuckle even while her heart was beating so wildly.

“So what? You just walk in here and demand that I cancel my wedding which is coming up in three weeks and I do it because I'm a lunatic.”

“No. Because you want me. You want me as much as I want you.”

As if to prove his point, he bumped the bulge of his arousal against her lower stomach, and a soft gasp she couldn't encumber slipped past her lips.