48

Adam watched the look on Eva's face transform from shock to awe then to denial, his heart hammering against his chest. God, she looked more beautiful than ever, and he'd missed her so bad.

“Adam.” His name tumbled from her lips breathlessly. Before, it would've made him burn with molten desire, but today, all it did was prick him with guilt.

“Wait!” The man she'd been kissing earlier said, eyes widening as he looked at Eva. “That's Adam? As in Adam Garcia?”

“The one and only.” Adam stepped forward, figuring Eva had told him about them. “And it's not a pleasure to meet you.”

“You're the stupid idiot who broke Eva's heart?”

Adam gritted his teeth, any comeback he would've had dying right in his mouth because he knew the guy was so damn right. Only a stupid idiot would judge a woman like Eva so quickly.

Ignoring him, Adam focused his gaze on the woman he was after, finding her eyes still transfixed on him like she couldn't believe he was standing there. “Eva...”

She seemed to snap right out of her daze. “What? What are you doing here?”

“Can we talk?” He said tentatively.

“I have nohing to say to you.” Her voice throbbed with hurt and hostility, the same kind that filled her eyes.

“Please Eva. I know everything looks extremely bad, but there's an ex...”

“What part of she doesn't have anything to say to you does your idiotic brain not understand?” The guy stepped in front Eva defensively, gaze filled with antagonism and another emotion that pleased Adam. Insecurity?

Eva held him by the shoulder, causing him to face her. Adam's hands balled into fists as warmth suffused her expression. “Let me handle this, Xander.”

When she turned to Adam, the warmth had vanished from her face, replaced by total coldness. “Mr. Garcia. Please get out of here. You're not needed.”

“Please, Eva.” Adam attempted to step closer and stopped when she raised her hand up to stop him. “Please, I'm not asking you to take me back or anything. Just give me the chance to explain myself. Let's talk, please.”

Conflict roved through her eyes, as if she was considering his request. She looked at Xander and whispered, “Text me when you're free.”

Then she pressed her lips to his before running into her house and banging her gate shut. Adam and Xander stood facing off, jealousy burning through Adam's veins as he scanned the man who was now having the luxury that had once been his.

A luxury he'd thrown away like an idiot.

“Listen to me,” Xander said, voice spiteful and nostrils flaring disdainfully. “You had your chance with Eva, and you threw it into the garbage. She's with me now so back off.”

“What?” Adam couldn't help but sneer cynically. “You're afraid she's gonna come running into my arms?”

“I wouldn't be so confident if I were you.” The man shot back. “Eva hates you now. She wants nothing to do with you, you would only he wasting your time.”

“That's not what her eyes told me. She may be hurt, but she's very much in love with me. Maybe she feels something for you, but what she feels for me is much much stronger.”

They glared at each other for what felt like minutes, both of them breathing heavily, shoulders squared belligerently. Finally, Xander straightened. “May the best man win.”

Adam snorted at the declaration, watching as the man went to sit in his porch, then drove away. He looked back at Eva's gate and his chest tightened.