Chapter 27 - Dreams Come True

Kim Taehyung had only visited the Korean National University of Arts once. He was 18, hair rebelliously dyed a light coffee brown, clinging to Jimin's arm as if he was a koala. The excitement was clear on the teen's face as they strolled across campus, Taehyung commenting on every work of art on display, every building, everything that he came across. It was glorious, the idea of coming to that school back then seemed like nothing short of a dream, one that felt just a little closer to the realm of reality with every step he took onto the campus. Just thinking about it had Taehyung brimming with excitement.

But that was almost 7 years ago, and Taehyung had never gotten into the school, despite sending in even more than what the application process required. Despite the defeat he felt in that moment, he knew one day the opportunity would come back full circle, and as he packed his weekend bag, that burning sense of opportunity rushed into his lungs as if it were meant to be air.

"You excited?" Jimin asked Taehyung curiously, watching his friend zip up his bag and toss it by the door. His friend looked up, offering a boxy grin as he turned towards the closet one last time.

"Of course! I've only dreamed of something like this for my entire life!"

"You said that about the Ilsan Art Festival too. And about every other art show I've gotten you in." The boys laughed a bit.

"Well, this one takes the cake, and will continue to take the cake for as long as I live and breathe on this earth." Jimin watched as Taehyung slipped past him, heading into the living room. "I need to finish packing my works."

"Do you know what you're bringing?"

"I have a few ideas, but there's one I know I'm bringing for sure." Jimin watched Taehyung walk towards a large canvas covered by a blue tarp. Curiosity piqued him, and he walked over towards his friend. Taehyung turned to Jimin, immediately catching the curious look in his eye, and he grinned. "Oh, you want to see?" he asked.

"No, I just find the blue tarp covering it to be truly mesmerizing." Taehyung laughed a bit at his friend's sarcastic remark, but instead of revealing the work, he simply walked it towards the door, setting it down against the wall. "I can't see?"

"I'm revealing it at the art show. So no, you can't see until we get there." Jimin pouted, crossing his arms. That didn't deter Taehyung though, and he stuck his hands into his pockets. "Jimin, don't look at me like that."

"All I do to get you here, and I can't see what could be your magnum opus ahead of time?" Taehyung huffed, shaking his head. "If I was pretty, you'd let me see."

"Jimin, you're very pretty." The boys had to laugh as Taehyung patted his friend's shoulder.

"...Okay, thank you." Jimin grinned. "Let's get some of this stuff downstairs. I rented a little trailer for us to fit all your stuff safely." Taehyung nodded, and with that squared away, he scooped up his painting and quickly carried it downstairs. Presenting this work at that art show, the idea that this was no longer a distant dream, but instead a reality, Taehyung found himself heading to the elevator with a spring in his step.

--------------------------------------------------------

Jung Hoseok was conflicted as he sat across from you at your dining room table. You both were cutting up some new activities for the students this upcoming week, as you were continuing to talk about colors. The idea you had for a poster had you beaming from the store all the way back home; a large rainbow, each color-filled not just with colored pencil, but also with drawings of different objects represented by each respective color. Red had apples, hearts, firetrucks, yellow had bananas, blue had the ocean and bluebirds, the list went on. The background was not left as white either. Anything on the picture was colored in, and colors outside the rainbow were added as well. Trees showcased the brown color, pink sprinkled along the light grass as variously shaped flowers. You were hunched over the table, hair pulled back tight as to not get in your eyes. Your eyes. Hoseok watched as your eyes fixated on the poster sprawled out before you. What was once a blank white canvas with limitless possibilities has now become an eye-pleasing set of various colors and words, just enough for the preschool children to enjoy looking at, as well as understand. Your eyes darted back and forth on the paper, before lifting your head in order to get a higher-level view. When you looked up, you saw Hoseok looking at you.