Chapter XXVII: Nightmares

I smashed a few more things before sliding down the wall next to my window. i stared at my hands, covered in cuts. i stood up to go to the bathroom, determined to wipe the dirt and grime off my skin, but i couldnt move, i stood at the door, not willing enough to open it, not willing to go make myself present in the world i did not want to be in.

I turned the handle and went into the corridor, no on was there, I was glad, I went towards the bathroom door and opened it, the blining white light startled me, but nothing happened. I locked the door behind me and gripped either side of the sink, I looked at myself in the mirror, this wasnt the same little boy who had left home 3 months ago, to go to the old, haunted house with his big brother.

No. This was no little boy, i was barley recognizable, even to myself, this was a boy who had been through way to much, way too soon. My vision blurred again and i rubbed my eyes. I took a towel and wet it a little, and began to clean myself up, i cleaned off the black marks on my face, and the dirt from under my fingernails.

I scrubbed the muck off my arms and it stung as I went over the little cuts on my hand, like a thousand papercuts. I tried to rub off the bruises and burns too, but nothing happened, I filled the sink with water and washed my hair like that, i didnt want to shower, didnt want to put myself in such a vulnerable position, thats why i didnt sleep either.

I was about to start rubbing my hair with a towel before i stopped myself. i looked in the mirror, my eyes were still bloodshot and my face was hollow, but i was clean, i shook my hair out before running my hands through it. i flipped it different ways and styled it stupidly, just like james had done, this made my laugh.

I did this for a while before walking back to my room, I changed into some clean pajamas, just a simple white top and grey joggers, and laid on my bed. I lay there, looking up at the wooden bedframe for a minuet before making up my mind and getting up again, i pushed the broken pieces of photo frames and decorations to a corner and went to lay on the top bunk, Hunters bed.

I felt safer here, i didnt know why, maybe because when i was younger, Hunter would sit up here with me when I was scared, he told my the monsters under the bed couldnt get me up here, I was probrably about five then, but the idea of it gave me comfort now.

I lay there, staring at the midnight blue cieling of my room, lost in my own thoughts. I got out of bed, I don't know why, i just felt like it, i opened the door of my room and a grey, misty light fell onto the hallway. standing in front of me was Ace, "Hello" she said smiling, she came towards me, i thought she was going to hug me until her lips met mine.

My eyes widened for a second, I went to tuck her hair behind her ear when she dissolved into thin air, then i heard footprints to my right, i looked around to see James, he was shaking his head, "You stay away from her" he said, then he morphed into Miles and came storming at me i ducked as he was about to throw a punch, but then he morphed into my brother and fell to the floor, dead, i tried to scream but a hand clapped itself over my mouth, i looked up, it was Diana, her gun hit my left ear, "ill be quick" she said sweetly, i looked up to see Will, looking down at me with dissaproval, he shook his head before being blown away like Ace.

The hand on my face dissapeared and i fell to my knees, a high pitched ringing filled my ears. I sat there my hands over my ears, my eyes screwed shut and tears streaming down my face. I woke up screaming, i stared around, but there was no Ace, no James, no Miles, just me and the voices in my head for company.

Drenched in sweat, i lifted myself from the bed and slid down the ladder, i moved towards the window, i opened it, and felt the cold air freeze my lungs, cleansing my breath, at that moment, I longed for my nightmare to come back, It may have been a nightmare, but i saw them again.

It seems sad, missing someone so much you depend on your night mares to see them again, but now im sitting here, at my desk, in my new house, two years later, im unable to forget it, but that was the last time i ever saw Ace Spade.