Chapter IX: Stories All Around

"Prison!?" Diana said, shocked, "I thought that was just you two, know what he did?" "No clue" James said, "but it can't be that bad, I mean, it's Miles" "yeah, that's the problem" Ace added "Oh shut up Ace" Diana said angrily, "we'd better go" James said, "Before anyone else sees us" Diana nodded her head and Ace walked towards me, her hand ready to take hold of my again "I know, I know" I said walking forward, she smirked at me and turned round to James and we began to walk down the street, the sun was up and it was getting hot but i didn't do anything, I eventually had to take my jacket off because I was sweating, James and Diana did the same but Ace simply unzipped her black coat jacket, "Ace, you are going to melt!" Diana exclaimed "I'm fine" Ace said defensively, "Come on Ace" James said grabbing the shoulder of her jacket, "get off me" Ace said firmly, jerking her arm away from James's hand, "what's wrong with you?" I said, the three of them turned to stare at me.

Ace looked like she wanted to kill me right then and there, "Fine" she said angrily, she took her jacket off to reveal a horrible sight, her arms were covered in bruises and scars, and some places there were five little cuts in a row where it looked like she had dug her own nails into her arms "Jesus Christ " James said, stopping in his tracks, even he sounded scared, Ace looked down at the floor and carried on walking, James caught by the shoulder of her black shirt, not brave enough to touch her arm, "what happened loca?" He said quietly, I didn't know what to do or say, Ace ran her fingers through her hair, "James..." she said softly, I could hear the over all fear in her voice and realized I wasn't just looking at a messed up teenager.

"James they shocked me" she said roughly . "They what!" James yelled, "guys" Diana said, but James was trying to talk to Ace and Ace looked like she was trying not to scream at him, "Guys!" Diana said again. "We have to go" she said pointing into the distance, I saw the flashing lights of police cars in the distance, "Dammit" James said fast, Ace looked absolutely petrified at this, "someone must have seen us leave!" She yelled, grabbing her gun from her jacket pocket and running, I followed her alongside James and Diana, "seen you!" Diana yelled, "where" "long story" Ace yelled back. We ran through the houses and ended up in an alley way round the back of one, I heard the sirens coming closer "what the hell?" I said loudly, as I said it  my head was slammed up against the wall, Aces hand over my mouth, her gun pointed at my head, "Not a word" she mouthed at me as I heard the cars come closer and leave.

Ace lowered her gun and pushed me back into the wall, letting go of me, she turned around and rested her head against the wall, James went to her and Diana signalled me to sit with her, "cigarette?" She said, pulling out a small box, "umm, no thank you" I said. She shrugged and pulled out a lighter. We sat there for a while, catching our breath and talking, I learned about their gang and who they were looking for, and what happened to Ace, she was assigned to a mental hospital when she was ten after she tried to kill herself several times, she's been in and out ever since, she told us that one of her mates helped her get out, how she would check the door every day seeing if anyone would have left it open, and how one day, it was.

I wasn't sure to be impressed or scared of her, she seemed like a decent person for what she'd been through, she told us how she got electroshocked if she didn't "behave" and showed us the scars from the fights she'd encountered, it was interesting really, but I still wasn't all calm, "so where do you need to get to?" I asked just trying to make conversation, "Back down where we were before" James said, not looking at me, "That's where Will is" Ace glanced at James and smirked, well, we can go tomorrow, I'm tired, she stood up and walked away from the group, "where are you going?" James yelled at her, "to find an unlocked door" she yelled back, James got up and followed her, Diana and I did the same, Diana didn't speak too much, but when she did, she was much nicer than both Ace and James combined.