Chapter V: Each Man For Themselves

We walked back down to the kitchen once we had changed my shirt was to big and was hanging over my jeans.

"Well don't hang around" the girl's voice came, I swung around to see her by the front door with a bag. I walked towards the door with Hunter practically hovering over my shoulder.

He definitely didn't trust this girl to come near me, and he had good reason too seeing as she had threatened to kill him twice in the past 24 hours. "Hurry up, I'm not gonna bite" her voice came again. "Yeah, you had a gun to my head yesterday so I wouldn't put biting past you". The girl rolled her eyes and opened the door. "Out" she said sharply, jerking her head towards the door. I walked out of the door Hunter still not leaving my side. He glared at the girl who, since she had smashed the vase, hadn't broken eye contact. We walked out the door and I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection of a car window, i looked different, black shirt and jeans, without a jacket all my bruises were clearly visible, my hair was messed up and my eyes were bloodshot, I didn't look like myself but I wasn't sure if I like it or not. "This way" the girl said and she began to walk down the street, Hunter following her.

It was just coming sunrise as we walked through the empty streets. It's like the town was abandoned, to be fair it had to be only 5 or 6 in the morning. The three of us walked down the roads of the strange town, Hunter and I exchanging looks from time to time but not saying anything. The girl led us into another building and up the stairs. "We'll stay here for a while" she said. I stared at Hunter, he did not look pleased. He came close to my ear "You know, I genuinely hate this" he whispered. "Problem?" The girl said, turning around to face us, a look of both bother and daring on her face, as if daring us to say more "thought so"

She turned around and continued to walk up more stairs, that's when I screwed everything up. I got to one of the stairs but didn't realize that half of the marble top was gone. I went to step up onto it and slipped. I fell backwards and hit the fire alarm, I felt dizzy from hitting my head and the alarm wasn't helping. I could hear yelling but my eyes were failing me at this point, "Get up!" "Get up!" I felt a cold hand on my arm and I was jerked up. Before I knew it I was running along a corridor my vision blurring slowly in and out of consciousness "Come on!!" A voice screamed. My vision went back to normal and I saw I was being dragged along by the white haired girl with Hunter behind me. I didn't know what to do so I just kept running.

We reached a door to the roof and went through. I looked behind me as I heard the click of the lock. I was about to start running again before realizing that there was only one other person with me "Come on!" The girl yelled, "No Hunters still in there!" "If you go back you'll put all of us in danger" she said pulling me towards her. I gave one more look back before there was banging and yelling behind the door. I couldn't do anything now, so I ran. The girl took me to the edge of the roof. There was about a 4 foot gap between here and the next building, "went I say go, we jump!" The girl said to me, "Are you crazy!?" I yelled, " You have to trust me!" I took a few steps back and took a deep breath. "GO!" I jumped. I felt my feet touch the solid ground and collapsed to my knees, "come on! Get up!" The girl was already screaming at me and dragging me towards the door. It took me a few long seconds to realize that I might never see my brother again.