Chapter 39

As soon as the rest of the boys started to their dorms, me and Soobin started walking down the length of the park sidewalk.

With winter coming soon, the cool air of the night brushes past us. But unlike the rest of the boys, we came prepared with winter coats.

Walking down the sidewalk, the street lamps are the only thing keeping the path visible save for the few cars passing by every now and then.

Soobin walks on my right side, closer to the street while trying to stay as close to me as possible while still giving me space some how. As if he is trying to make sure I'm safe.

I notice this fairly early in our walk and try to see what other small things he does even without him realizing it.

I noticed he would get a little closer to me when a car would pass by, or when someone was on the other side of the street. And he would check around us a few times every now and then, to see if anyone else was around.

I can't decide if he was doing these things as an anxiety release, or if he was trying to keep watch for me. But either way, I feel safe with him.

After a few minutes of silent walking, I decide to comment on his actions.

"Soobin, why do you keep looking around so much?"

"Huh? Oh, I don't know. I guess I'm just checking."

I smile at his small panic at the question. He worries a lot, but I think that's kind of cute.

"You know, Soobin, ever since we started getting closer, I've felt safer."

He looks a little surprised by my sudden confession, but responds right away.

"Really?"

"Mhm. I mean, I feel safe both physically and mentally. You're really easy to talk to, and you're really understanding of people." I say.

Soobin walks along next to me while trying to take in everything I'm saying. I guess no one's ever really told him these things before, because he looks kind of surprised that I'm saying it of anyone.

"And I feel physically safe with you because there's been several times when you helped me in a situation already." I say referring to the time with Jae and the time in the park.

Looking at Soobin's reaction, he seems flustered, especially since his ears are glowing red again.

I stop talking to give him time to take what I said in. I don't really expect him to reply to any of it, but these feelings of mine are new to the both of us.

After a bit, he speaks up.

"W-well, I don't know. Just, since you started hanging out with us more, I just felt like you were someone I needed to protect. Exactly how I do my members, but it's a bit different, and I can't explain how." He says.

I nod along to his words. His actions and words from the past few weeks match what he's saying, but the reason behind them is still unknown to me. Hopefully soon, we both will know the reason.

After another 5 minutes of walking and talking together, we come closer to the park's edge.

Ahead of us are lights of all colors and shades on top of tents and smaller buildings. There are people everywhere, either wondering around or standing in a booth with food or games.

To the side, I see a sign lit up with stars and a moon painted on it.

The Annual Starlight Festival

Come enjoy games, food, and fun for one week only!

5 pm to 12 pm

Ride Tickets: $1 each

Food and game price at the booth

(Just pretend it's a complete poster)

I knew this city had an annual festival, but I never was able to go because school got in the way.

I look up to Soobin as he looks down to me.

Not one second later, he nods to the festival sign and says:

"Do you want to go?"

A/N
I don't know what this was, but it happened.

I guess it's insight to what Soobin is feeling because I realised I haven't shown his side of the story very well 😅

The next chapters are favorites to write and read so be excited.

Also

HYUNJIN IS BACK!

I am a STAY and I've been waiting with everyone else for him to come back, and after about 4 months, he is finally back in with the group.

I hope JWhyP doesn't do anything like this again in the future. Stray Kids is 8 not 7 for 4 months straight.