Chapter 16

1483 words
_________________________  

Jack Byrne

"John, you want to get some fresh air?" I asked barging into the room where he was held captive.

"Yes, of course!" He seemed so happy even with the thought of going out. I can't blame him for this. He's not seen the sun for more than a month now.

"Well, you'll have to do something for us then"

"Anything to get out"

"Okay, here's the thing."

My idea is to set him on a meeting with Joe. John will threaten Joe about knowing everything, from killing Amara to getting her property.

And by doing so Joe will reveal his little secret. James and I will be there to catch him red-handed. There'll be no way out.

If everything goes right, well have Joe confess everything. A little emotional drama from me would make him tell about his partner too!

"No way!! You want me to confront The Chief of FBI?! He could kill me!! I rather stay inside than go out and die!"

"Why do you think I'll let you die? Remember the part where I said that James and I would be there too? Plus, I'll see that Joe doesn't have bullets in his gun. Okay?"

"Fine!! But if I die, I swear I'll kill you!!!"

"Shut up! Now listen to me carefully. We'll drop you at your cottage. From there you will call Joe, and ask him to come to your cottage. You should make it look real."

"Okay, what after that?"

"You wait for him to come. And yeah, if you even try to escape, I'll shoot you before Joe comes."

"So you are going to be there too?"

"Of course!" But the reality was that I wasn't going to be there. After dropping John at his cottage I will come back and tell Joe that John was missing.

"Fine..."

"Let's leave. We dont have much time." I said.

"So, what if I die? What if he tries to shoot me?" As soon as we sat in the car, John began with his rambling.

"Relax we won't let anything happen to you," James commented.

"Okay. He's a close friend of yours, isn't he? Joe I mean. How will you send him to prison?"

"It would be best for you to shut up, John." He kept his mouth shut after that.

If it was Joe who killed Amara, how will I get myself to even look at him? But, somewhere John is right, the bond between Joe and me is more than just colleagues. How can I do this? How can I turn him in? Should I send someone else to spy on them?

But what if it isn't Joe who killed Amara? What if Joe finds out that I'm suspecting him? He will never be able to forgive me ever again. No matter what excuses I make...the truth will always be that I suspected my only friend!

"Sir, we are here.." James' voice got me out of the train of thoughts that were running in my head right now.

"John, ready? You won't fail me, will you?" I asked him again.

"No sir, I'll give my best. Just...just dont let me die. Please." He seemed determined yet nervous.

"I'll try my best!" Saying that I winked.

__________________

"Joe!!! Where are you?!" I barged into Joe's cabin. I really dont know how I am going to lie straight up to his face.