Chapter 9

725 words    
__________________

Jack Byrne

I woke up at 5 in the morning and went jogging as usual. Jogging clears my mind, any confusion I have, I prefer going to a jog or the gym.

After coming home around 6:30, I freshened up, cooked some potatoes and toasted some slices of bread for breakfast and left for work.

Looking at the colourless walls, and sad faces of my colleagues, I realised that I have such a huge case to solve.

I entered the same cabin of mine and sat on the same chair. Closing my eyes I start to recall all the things that Joana had said. Was it all true? Was Amara really depressed?

So, Amara did suicide after all? As stated in the forensic reports, she was poisoned and that the poison was in her food. But...if she was depressed, why would she take the efforts of cooking?

"Oh, my God! No ways. I don't cook. I'd rather sit and read a good novel than cook. I have always loathed cooking." Her words are still ringing in my ears.

The knock on my door got me out of the ocean of thoughts.

"Come in"

"Sir, we found something at the crime scene"

"Yeah, what is it, James?"

What is it that they found? And in the crime scene? I remember our team searching every inch of the Manor!

"Sir, it's a bag...a backpack."

"A backpack?! Where is it?"

"Sir in the investigation room, if you could come and take a look"

"Sure! You keep going I'll catch up"

Another mystery? This case is deeper than I thought. All I can say is that this is not just a case of murder or suicide. There's surely something more to it...

_________________________

"A bag filled with packets of drugs?!" Where was this case leading us to? Was John the victim? Was this backpack his? How did this bag come here?

We don't know anything yet...the security said that he had not seen anyone come in or go out. All we know is that there was this bag lying at the crime scene, filled with packets of drugs.

First of all, I need to know if Joana is right. I need to run a background check on her. Somehow she doesn't seem right to me.

__________________________

"So Miss Dottie why didn't you tell us about Amara's depression before? Why did try and hide it from us?" I thought Dottie might be the answer to all my questions.

"Sir, I didn't want to hide it from you, it's just that I forgot...it...it slipped my mind!! Amara's death took some while to sink in. In fact, I still can't take in the fact that she's gone...forever" she said, controlling her tears from rolling down her cheeks.

"Okay okay. Then tell me something about Joana Forbes!"

"What about her?"

"Was she really taking care of Amara after Lily's death?"

"Yes, she was the one taking care of Amara after Lily's death she stated as a matter of factly."

"Who is she? Where did she come from? And how did you meet her?"

"Sir, she is was from an NGO from India. I knew her for a long time, we met on social media. When I told her about Amara's death she was very kind to agree to look after her"

"Why did you want her to look after Amara? Where was John?"

"Sir...he..."

"Please don't hesitate"

"Sir, the day Mrs Williams died, John fled off to someplace, he returned only after finding out about Amara."

"And...why didn't you tell us before about Joana?"

"Like I said, I'm still in shock!!"

"Okay! Thank you for your cooperation."

I'll have to see if Joana is from an NGO from India. But why did John not return? Where did he go to? So is my intuitions about Lily's death correct? Was John the one to kill Lily and Amara?

I need to first solve Lily's case to solve Amaras. I'm sure Lily's death has something to do with Amaras.

And I can't let John slip off that easily...if not about Amara, he surely knows something about Lily's case. He's not going to give the information so easily, especially not after I snatched the keys from him.

*****

Hope you liked this part. Click on the star to like this part!