That conviction wavered for a moment when he took a controlled step towards me. Once again, his predatory movements reminded me of him. I steeled myself. I wasn't going to show weakness. 

"I didn't expect to witness an opening act like this before the show and dinner," Axel said as his laughter died down. "I don't think I can recall a time anyone has said no to you, Cassius."

Cassius paid no mind to Axel and his manic joy. He continued to stalk towards me.

"Get on the bed, pet."

My throat thickened at the way he spit out the word 'pet.' I backed up another step. He followed.

My breathing became faster, harsher, as fear distorted reality into memory. My eyes zoned in on Cassius as everything else, including Axel, faded. Except, he was no longer there. In his place stood him.

His face twisted into a sinister grin that was all too familiar.

He took another step.

I turned on the balls of my feet and bolted for the door.

My heeled boots pounded against the floor as hard as my heart pounded inside my chest. I had escaped from him, how was he here?

I sprinted past the french door leading into the seating area. The skirt of my indigo dress made the curtains chase behind me. Dodging the sofas and coffee table, I ran for the door, my hand outstretched to twist the doorknob open.

As the tips of my finger brushed against the cold metal, I was harshly pulled back. The air was knocked out of my lungs from how violently my back crashed into a hard body.

"Going somewhere, pet?"

His voice pierced through my ears. It was laced with anger.

Hyperventilating, I leaned back against the body behind me and jumped. Kicking my legs out I push off against the door in an attempt to dislodge him. It was a useless attempt seeing as it didn't move him an inch. 

I let out a blood-curdling scream when he lifted me with his arms wrapped around me and started carrying me towards the bed. I didn't want him to turn me back into the girl who didn't care what he did to her, the one that would lie there and just take it. I knew I resented Zev at times for taking my safe place away, but I was grateful. For the first time in years, I wasn't a numb body waiting to be pushed too far. 

I was living. 

I had friends.

I was falling in love.

And he was back to take it all away.

My screams were cut off when my body became weightless before landing hard on the bed. I didn't get to resume before I found myself pinned down on my back with a hand wrapped around my neck.

"Are you done?"

I blinked as the face staring down at me from the side of the bed flickered, the features shifting and distorting.

I blinked rapidly past my paralyzing fear. With each blink, the face above me became clearer. The clearer it became, the easier it was to identify the man as Cassius, not the one that haunted my dreams.

Though, I had a feeling he would join him after what was about to come. The flicker in his eyes made that apparent.

"Listen, pet," he said emotionlessly. "This is strictly business. I am doing what I need to do to protect my family and sadly, that comes at your expense." He didn't look sad about it. "It would be better for everyone if you cooperated."