Chapter 26

Breakfast the next morning was awkwardly silent. Not just between Lilly and Evan, but also between Damon and Lilly. Angela thought nothing of it, considering that she expected there to be a bit of silence between her parents, as well as between her mother and her new boyfriend. Shit, there were days she couldn't figure out what to say to Evan herself, who was she to judge? Evan was just about to burst with happiness for Lilly and Damon, but knew that now was not the appropriate time to say anything. Thankfully for Lilly, who had no interest in saying anything to Angela yet, Angela ate quickly and then left for work. Lilly left for work shortly after, turning and saying a quick goodbye to Damon, who gave her a smile and a wave as she left. Nothing needed to be said.

"I know what you guys talked about last night." Evan finally said with his own smile.

Damon was shocked by this, but not by much. He was usually aware of everything. But this time, he hadn't felt anything at all, hadn't even considered anything. And he knew better than to try to hide anything from him. If Damon didn't know better, he would have thought Evan was trying to imitate him in some way.

"Don't make a big deal of it."

"Are you kidding? I'm happy for you two! When are you going to tell Angela?"

"Hold your horses, Evan. There isn't anything to tell her yet."

This confused Evan, so much so it was almost disappointing. "Of course there is. She'd be completely happy for you. Do you not want this?"

Damon sighed and set his book down. It wasn't that he didn't want this; he just didn't know what to think of it. This was not what he expected for himself. For a split second that morning, he even wondered if he had told Lilly what he had to simply make her feel better. Knowing himself better than this however, he carried on with things as he always did.

"It's not that I don't want it, I just don't know what to do with it. I already told Lilly I can't give her exactly what she expects."

"Seems to me like she can handle that. Besides, there's always a first time for anything. Damon, if everyone up there could see you now, I'm sure half of them would have heart attacks!"

"Evan, do you really see me doing this?"

"That's the great thing, Damon. No one expects this from you, but you're doing it."

"I'm not doing this to shock everyone. You should know better than that by now, Evan."

"You're nervous, I get it. It happens to everyone." Evan said with a grin.

"I don't get nervous, Evan."

"Apparently, you do."

Why had he done this? Love had never really made sense to him. He understood why human beings felt this, but it had never affected him. Even now, nothing felt as if it had changed. He knew it had, but nothing felt as if it had changed. Emotions, such as love, could change at any time. For all he knew, Lilly could wake up two weeks from now, come to him and say she didn't care for him anymore. Odd, that loving a son or daughter made complete sense to him, but love shared between partners meant basically nothing. Love was something used as a weapon, usually a person's worst weakness. How was this the emotion that most people prized above all others? Even Evan displayed more signs of love than he did. This made him happy for his daughter, who had no problems displaying her emotions. But Damon never felt these emotions; therefore he did not know how to express them.