Chapter 8

Angela had begun to feel tired by the time Evan had knocked on the door, and was considering going to bed a bit early. Now that Evan Zachary was here however, she felt wide awake once again. Much like he had a few weeks ago, Evan still wore his black coat and black jeans, probably still trying to blend in with his surroundings and be harder to spot. Only this time, he wore a dark blue long-sleeve shirt underneath his coat. Feeling better now that they had accepted his help, Angela guessed. Damon emerged from the kitchen, with a somewhat relieved expression on his face.

"You've returned." He said.

"Sure I did. I told you I wanted to help, that's what I'm going to do." Evan responded, still just as excited and eager as he had been a few weeks ago. Angela hoped that stopped soon. His constant upbeat mood really annoyed her. Angela quickly straightened her face however as Evan turned to face her with that same welcoming smile he'd walked through the door with.

"How are you tonight, Angela?" he asked kindly.

"I'm fine. Feeling better now we know you're here safely." She answered carefully.

"I wouldn't expect anything less from you, Angela." He said.

"Have a seat, Evan. Relax for a moment before we start talking seriously." Damon offered.

"Thanks, Damon."

It didn't take long for Evan to make himself comfortable in Angela's usual space on the couch. How was it that most of what Evan did managed to annoy her right now? Instead, Angela took a calming breath and sat on the other side of the sofa instead. It was hard keeping in mind what her mother had said when he seemed to be acting as if he lived there with them. This did not help how she felt about him. This was Sunday night, which meant tonight was the Fox channel's cartoon lineup night. So she kept her eyes on the television screen, trying to focus on the episode of The Simpsons that was playing right now.

"Can I ask you something, Angela?" Evan asked.

So much for trying to focus on something else. "Why not?"

"I know you don't like the idea of me being here. I just want to know why, I'm not going to hurt you." He said gently. At this Angela turned toward him. At the very least Evan deserved to have her look him in the face when she answered this question.

"Evan, I know you sound honest but the truth is that I just don't trust you. In less than a year, I have fought off more angels than I thought possible, all of whom wanted to kill me and Dad. Shit, my own grandfather abducted me, somehow tied me to a shipping container wall; and used me as bait to lure Dad into a trap. He then proceeded to try killing us, puncturing Dad's hand in the process. Since then, all I've done is watch behind my back for people from up there. So excuse me if I'm a little wary of you." Angela said, perhaps a little louder than she should have.

For once Evan was as quiet as she had ever heard him. He blinked in surprise for a moment, seeming to try and think of something to say. Finally something came to him.

"I knew you've been through a lot before I met you two. And I understand. It's why I believe in what you're doing. What I told you about doing exactly what we're told up there when we're told to do it wasn't a lie. When I found out what happened to you, being bound to His son; I couldn't take it anymore. Free will is more important than most up there really think. I know I have a lot to do before you can trust me, your dad too, if I'm not mistaken. All I'm asking is for you to give me a real chance. I told you guys I won't let you down, and I mean it."