Chapter 8: The Bat Queen

"Amity Blight." Luz repeated before the bell rang and she stood. "Guess that's it."

"Yup." Gus said before smiling. "You're a really cool person, Luz! Hope we can meet again!"

Luz smiled. "I hope so too! I didn't expect to make friends on the first day!"

"Well! You did!" Willow said, giving Luz a fist bump.

Luz just pretended to know what that was, nodding slowly. "Yyyyup. Well, cya later!"

Willow and Gus just smiled with another wave as the students and them headed back to class.

Luz smiled before she watched this 'Amity' leave. She seemed like the type of cold and calculating person, and Willow seemed to be familiar with her.

She wondered why.

'Looks like I'm gonna be better acquainted with someone else soon.' Luz thought before Amity looked at her. 'IHAVEBEENDISCOVERED.'

Amity had a blank expression for a bit before she smiled softly, giving a little wave and then left.

Luz just awkwardly waved back before heading off to class.

Once the final bell rang, a few students seemed to be DESPERATE to leave the building, but Luz just walked at a normal pace before seeing Eda in her car.

She smiled and got in. "You got those windows fixed!"

"Yup." Eda said as she started the car and drove off. "How was your first day, kiddo?"

"Not as bad as I thought!" Luz said. "I was expecting to die!" She laughed.

"Kid, I was joking about a lot of that." Eda laughed. "I mean, yeah! It happens! But not on the first day, especially when there's someone new in town."

"...Will it happen when I'm no longer new in town?" Luz asked.

Eda shrugged. "Probably."

Luz gulped, but this time she wasn't so sure whether to believe Eda completely. After all, she had friends now.

"So, make any new friends?" Eda asked.

"Yeah, actually!" Luz smiled.

"Oh! Good! They nice or just your average cool kids that you wanna leave a good impression on?"

"They're actually nice. I could tell they wanted to make me feel welcome!" Luz smiled again. "I mean, I did get something called a spitball..."

"Oh, the bullies." Eda sighed. "That's a common in a lot of schools. Or just annoying kids that are just assholes...where do they live?"

"Uhhh, I dunno. The bully never talked to me." Luz shrugged. "Why?"

"I have a shovel for a reason." Eda smirked.

Luz's eyes widened. "Say...what?"

"You heard me." Eda said. "No one hurts the kid who's pretending my kid."

"Awwww!!! I feel both affectionate and afraid!"

Later that night, when Luz was about to change into her pajamas, she heard something. She tilted her head and looked out her window.

"Hmmm...nothing." Luz said before laying down on her bed. She then changed into her gray tank top and purple shorts and then grabbed the Azura book she was reading earlier, just to finish the final chapter.

King yawned as he stepped into the room, crawled onto Luz's bed and fell asleep a little too quickly.

Luz just smiled, petting King with one of her hands while still not taking her eyes off the book.