Chapter 20

"Minseo, did you see?"

The young girl looked up from the book in her lap to the the person, who had an exciting smile on her face and looked joyed.

"Who, mom?"
She followed her mother's gaze,

"Don't tell me you didn't see," her mother looked at her, "Didn't you see the doctor?"

Minseo shook her head, "I didn't."

Her mother huffed, "The young doctor that just passed by from here, he was so handsome."

"Really?" Minseo chuckled and turned her seat towards her mother, "Was he cute?"

"Really cute!"

Her mother's eyes were sparking.
Beautiful.

She reached out to hold her mother's hand-she had became so weak. The hand which would easily cover up Minseo's was now easily concealed in her hold.

"Well then..." she started, "You should get used to seeing people in white coats."

"I already am-"

"I'll be wearing this one day too..."

"What?" her mother observed Minseo's face, looking for any sign of goofiness or hoping she'd say 'I was joking' but she didn't.

She nods at her mother's question and smiled, "I've finally decided what I want to be. I'll work hard, mom."

"Oh," her mother almost turned teary, "I wish I would've had more time. To live long enough to see you become a big girl, successful in her life. But-"

"Mom," Minseo's tone dropped and she removed her hand from her mother's, "Why do you have to say this and ruin my mood again? You, will be there when I'll grow up-"

"Minseo dear," her mother's hand came to hold hers once again, "It hurts me more than you when I realize that I won't be there in the future with you," her eyes were filled with water and even Minseo tried her best to remain collected.
She continued, "But it's the truth, I won't be here for long-"

"Mom!" tears finally spilled from Minseo's eyes and looking at that, her mother couldn't stop her own tears either.

Her mom pulled her forward in her embrace and wrapped her arms around Minseo's shoulder, "I'm sorry."

Minseo was so young and lonely, and soon, one of her biggest support system was going to leave the world...

"Don't be," she moved back and wiped her mother's tears. She smiled, wiping her own as well, "I'll make sure to make you proud mom. I will."

Her father who no one noticed coming closer to his family. When he heard the conversation, his heart felt heavier than it already was and he breathed out slowly trying to remain calm himself.
He turned to look at his wife -smiling and listening to Minseo, and whispered to himself, "I promise to do anything and everything I can, to fulfill our daughter's wishes."

"Done?" Eunhyuk asked.

Minseo nodded in reply and made herself comfortable on the chair.
She rested her heard whilst looking at the boy besides her, then it clicked her.

"Eunhyuk," she gained his attention and stood up, going to where she had secured her bag. She rumaged though it and took out a thick, heavy looking book.

She looked up and smiled when she saw he was still looking at her. She shook the book in her hold, "Found it!"

She moved back to sit in her place and handed Eunhyuk his book.

A heartfelt laugh escaped the boy as he started at the book, "You're really returning me this now?" he observed its condition, "I told you I don't need it."

Rather than feeling embarrassed, Minseo herself chuckled at that and nodded, "But I wasn't supposed to keep it. You had lent it to me."

He nodded, a grin still on his face and opened the book, "It used to seem so difficult but not now..."

"Hmm, it was very useful for me too," Minseo looked ahead and sighed, "Even if it wasn't for this situation, I would've still returned it to you... My mistake."

He closed the book, one if his fingers between the pages he was reading, "Mistake?"

"I've regretted choosing medical as a subject," she finally confessed but didn't look at Eunhyuk, though she knew he was looking at her.
"It was a mistake. I was overwhelmed when I decided that. And what I regret more, is deciding to quit it at the very last."

He revived the conversation they had the other day.
"You wanted to do that for your mother..."

She nodded.

"You must've missed her the most whenever you thought of quitting..."

Minseo finally looked at him, "I miss mom everyday, always. But you know, when I last went home -when I collected this book, I missed my dad more than ever. Everything there, just reminded me of him... I wish he had really came back that day..." she whispered the last sentence, barely audible to him.

Eunhyuk didn't want her to feel sadder, so he silently continued to go through the book.

She was glad she got to talk about it. Though it didn't make any difference.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Hyunsoo entered the room.

Minseo stood up immediately, -it'd been a while- and looked at him. Though he didn't even turn to look at her.

He emptied the bag full of batteries on the table in front of Eunhyuk, some batteries rolling off the table.

He turned to leave the room, glancing at Minseo once.

And Minseo knew what he would do now, give other their things too and then isolate himself in the gaming centre.

This wasn't right, and she didn't want him to do this.

She looked at the batteries, Eunhyuk, the book which was now closed over the table and breathed out.

Her emotions were taking over her.

She picked up a battery near her feet and scoffed, "Eunhyuk-"
She was interrupted when Dusik came in the room.

"Did you shut down the elevator?" Eunhyuk asked, "We're running out of power and it's dangerous. So we'll run it in case of emergency only."

Minseo started at him with a frown,
His demeanor changed so quickly.

Instead of replying, Dusik angrily threw the keys near Eunhyuk, "What we are doing to Hyunsoo, is it right?" He asked agitated, "He didn't harm anyone. We aren't even sure if he'll turn into a monster."

"Why isn't it right? Hyunsoo is dangerous," he answered calmly, "He's dangerous, but we need him."