Chapter 8

"Mom, please don't leave me, don't leave us," she cried out to her mother but the woman looked away.

"Let me go," she tried to break her daughter's grip on her hand but it only tightened more.

"No!" she sobbed, "Please, stay…"

"Stop making it harder for me!" The woman jerked her hand away, "Please…"

"Leave it."
"Stop!"
"Don't do things for attention!"
"You're disgusting."
"You should just die together, then!"
"How cheap…"
"I wonder what mistake I made for you to behave like this?"
"I want to quit,"
"What a disappointment."

A series of sentences similar to nightmares. A bunch of words, like burning wounds. A few voices, being longed to be heard, but statements that being tears.

When Minseo woke up, it was already dark outside. She wasn't sleepy anymore, but still felt tired for some reason.

She walked out of the security room and stretched herself, immediately standing straight wen she saw Hyein starting at her from a side, holding her pet dog, Bom.

"Hey," she smiled.

"Hi," Minseo replied awkwardly.

"I saw you before, but you were sleeping so I didn't bother you."

She nodded lightly, "Thanks."
Minseo glanced around and saw Ms. Cha angrily coming out of somewhere and stopped when she saw her.

She was about to walk away when Hyein spoke up, preventing the lady for leaving, "You should look at Minseo, even her father isn't here but she's holding back. Unlike you."

Hyein's words surprised Minseo, but they were like a dragger to the older lady, working like, fuel to fire.
Before she could say anything again, Ms. Cha spat, "That's because her father wasn't supposed be here! But my daughter was in her way, she still is–"

"Who told you that my father wasn't suppose to be here?" Minseo interrupted starting directly at the woman, her voice cold and eyes suddenly dark, "I know you're upset and desperate but please, refrain yourself from making such claims."
Both the pair of eyes were stuck on her in shock, apparently three.

She came back in the securing room, quite angry and upset at the same time.
Stopping in her tracks when she found Eunhyuk there.

"You're awake," he stated.

Without a word, she sat in her seat and rested her head on the top, staring at the ceiling.

How could someone judge her recklessly?

Ms. Cha should understand her more, even her only family, her daughter wasn't here, in such a situation.
The young girl was out alone in the failing world.
And so was Minseo's father.
There was no contact between the father, daughter duo. They were at a tortuous distance.

After a moment of awkward silence –which Minseo didn't even notice, Eunhyuk asked, "Shall I ask you something?"

Minseo rotated her head towards him, pausing to stare at him for a moment as he stood with his lower back in contact with the table, arms folded and looked at her. Their eyes met and she nodded.

"Who was that boy? With you in the elevator?"

His question confirmed her assumption, of him seeing her through a CCTV.

"Hyunsoo," she replied, bored. Or wanting to sound impassive. "It's been a week since he shifted in the apartment next to mine."

"Did you both manage to escape the monster?"

How much did he even see?

"Well," Minseo shrugged.
Isn't it obvious?

Before Eunhyuk could ask another question, she looked at him again, "Eunhyuk, there are more people up there," she sat up straight, glancing ahead, then looked back at him, "People who can't take care of themselves in this situation, alone."

His eyes shifted for a moment before he nodded

She continued, "It's late right now, so it's not the time. But I think we should call them down here. This floor may have an entrance gate but it's safer than the rest. We're all together here."

He took in the information she provided, but there was still more he wanted to know.
"The shovel," he pointed at where it was kept, "Nice idea for a weapon."

Minseo nodded reluctantly.

"There was, blood on it." It sounded more like a question than a statement.

So he did not see a lot.
"We encountered a monster, you know. I had to be helpful."

He nodded.
"About what you said," he moved forward to sit on his chair, "I've been thinking of making an announcement soon. Let's do it tomorrow."

She smiled and nodded.

Being together would be safe, right?

a/n: a lil short chapter. But we have 1k reads, nice!
Btw, if you like my story, pretty please, Vote. It'd mean alot to me :)