Floating Lights (Parley)

Kind of a tangled au (from a by standers' point of view tho) cause i'm not yet finished with og ideas. And apparently i wrote this back in 2018💀 so i just had to rewrite it lmao.

•●•●•●•

It was a beautiful stary night, lanterns were scattered in the sky, crisp cool air and boats with couples lovingly staring at each other. Unfortunately for Peter, they weren't one of them.

Peter was invited by his friend Harley to go see the floating lights. They come every year to this event, it wasn't just special because the whole town would celebrate the lost prince's birthday but because it was the day they met while watching the beautiful scenario before them.

They love going with each other to these events as buddies, as Harley would say, but in Peter's world, it's more than that. He loves the way Harley smiles when he looks up at the lanterns, the twinkle in his eyes as the lights reflected on them, and just him in general. Peter would kill to just experience one real date with him, just the two of them.

Sighing, Peter leaned back on the boat and crossed his arms over his chest, breathing heavily as he thought about this, a frown forming on his lips. He didn't plan on falling for his best friend but alas he did, it was the happiest yet saddest thing that could ever happen ti him.

The lanterns were decreasing as the night's breeze carried them higher up in the sky, leaving the kingdom with a few more lanterns left floating around. Glancing at thebother people around them, Peter noticed a boat, not far from them, with a couple on it. They were holding hands, looking deeply in each others eyes, his eyes widen as he realized who was on the boat; the lost prince and... the wanted thief?

Shaking his head, erasing the thought away, he was happy that the prince found someone to love but also mad, cause he's jealous. Jealous that he had to suffer years of heartbreak. He couldn't blame anyone but himself, all he had to do was confess, but he flushed that idea away as it may ruin their friendship.

He looked back at Harley who seemed a bit tense. Maybe he was cold? Peter thought. He shook his head once more and just laid there looking up to the sky, he never really wanted to love him but he still does. Tears were threatening to form in his eyes but he refused to cry on such a wonderful night. However, he felt the boat shift as he notice Harley was getting something from behind him.

Two lanterns.

Two lanterns that were in the color blue, and red. Peter's eyes widen as he looked at the costumized lanterns. He looked up at Harley, who was staring at the lanterns in his hands, then glanced at Peter with red tinted cheeks.

This night was special. Peter shrugged off Harely's reaction as he stared at the lanterns again.

"Uh, I know this sounds weird but I've been studying how lanterns are made cause I wanted this night to be special for us. And I wanted the lanterns to be special too, so I made them myself!" Harley said, scratching the back of his head, not making eye contact with the younger teen.

"Ahwww, this is great, Harley!" Peter enthusiastically said, shifting towards his friend and hugging him tightly.

They didn't pull away for a bit as they wanted to hold each other longer. Harley doesn't want to admit but he loves Peter's hugs, even if he get's suffacated, it was still an adorable way to suffer. Pulling away from each other, Harley handed Peter the blue colored lantern, leaving his to be the red one.

Peter returned to his original spot, holding the lantern on his palm while his thumbs supported it so that it wouldn't float away before he even let's it go. The two glanced at each other then focused their eyes on the stary night. The sky was no longer filled with beautiful golden lanterns, it was the perfect time to let the two best friends' lanterns go. Harely and Peter looked at each other and nodded, silently telling each other to let their lanterns go. And they did.

Their two lanterns were alone in the sky as they're the only ones who were left on the lake. The lanterns were floating in the air, filling the sky with a small bit of light, just like the bit of hope Peter had on getting a chance with Harley.

However, with a sudden surge of confidence, Peter no longer was focusing on their laterns but now on the boy in front of him. He smiled warmly at him, and shifted himself towards Harley.

Seeming to notice this, Harley looked at his friend, a confused expression evident on his face but scooted closer nonetheless. Harley brushed his thumb over his partner's cheek, looking deep into his eyes and glancing at his lips. But as he focused on Peter's eyes again, they were already closed.

"Peter, are you sure about this?" Harley said, still rubbing his thumb accross his cheek.

Peter only nodded with still closed eye lids. Harley took one last glance and slowly leaned. He wanted this, yes, but he was nervous that he'd somehow ruin it. This was going to be his first kiss and he didn't want to mess it up, especially if it's with his best friend. He has liked Peter since they were fourteen, but he never thought about confessing to him, assuming that he doesn't like him back. They were just kids back then and still so naive. That's why Harley struggled with confessing cause he has never experienced loving someone so deeply.

With a last breath of courage, he brushed his lips against Peter's. But before their lips could touch, the boat turned over.

Soaking wet and freezing, they swam to the nearest shore. The two were breathing heavely, trying to catch their breaths as they sat down on the ground. Laying down on pebbled pavement. Both of them looked at each other, then bursted into a fit of laughter.

"Ah... just like old times." Peter said, facing his whole body towards Harley.

"Sure is." Harley replied, facing the sky, placing both of his hands on his stomach.

"So... aren't we gonna continue what we started?" Cheekily, Peter said.

Harley blushed, "I don't know? Do you-mmfp!" Harley got cut off as Peter crashed his lips onto his as he laid on top of him.

The kiss was passionate. Harley lached his hands around the boy's waist, and Peter's on his neck. They moved their lips in sync, delicately kissing as if they didn't want to hurt the other.

It felt so right, Harley thought, tightening his grip on Peter, not letting go anytime soon. But breathing was apparenrly a thing so they had to let go but kept their foreheads together, still.

"Wow." Harley said in between breaths.

Peter giggled and repeatedly pecked Harley's lips, still wanting to kiss him. Harley also giggled and sat up, Peter following suit.

He sighed, "Who could've thought that my lanterns would bring us here?" Harley looked at Peter who was now sitting in front of him.

"Well, your genius idea worked, dumbass." he hesitates, "and I love you for that." Peter shyly said, hugging him tightly.

"I love you too, Pete..."

•●•●•●•

I've been reading some of you guys' comments and i am thankful for all of it<33 it warms my heart on how much you guys get engaged/invested in these stories. Whether it be a critique, a nice, funny, or even a random comment, i love seeing it. Thank you so much<33

Sorry for any errors btw, it's currently 10pm and i don't have time to proof read.