Chapter 31

She was too late to save him. When she was reborn, she was supposed to go straight to him and live their life together peacefully. But when she arose from her second life, she didn't know who she was or what she was meant to do. She didn't know who Sukuna was or anything about the bond she put. From there, most of her powers from her previous life have already been used up making the contract. She vowed to be with him and always be with him. She was supposed to be the one to find him first, but she was late and he became the most powerful curse. Was this her punishment for casting such a vow between the two of them? She forgot who she was, she did not remember what happened, and most of all, she had abandoned him. If only she remembered she would have gotten to him first, if only she could have saved him from his own humanity. What could have gone wrong? Was it her own fault that he ended up like this? Was it something to do with the contract she had placed on the both of them? How did they end up this way? From lovers who were not meant to be, to strangers who happened to be attracted to one another. But one thing that Y/N did remember about her bond was that there was always something that backfired. That was why he could feel her pain. This was the sign of their bond, the proof that they are bound to one another.

Snap. Out. Of. It. Y/N suddenly pulled her hands away from the water, and away from Sukuna's hands. Sukuna was shocked by her sudden reaction. He was just quietly washing her hands and she suddenly pulled away from him. He looked towards her and saw tears flowing down to her cheeks. She was crying, but why? Y/N placed her hands on her chest and breathed deeply to process and regain her stability. She looked towards Sukuna and stared into his eyes. They were painted with such curiosity. She wanted to tell him, but would it be too much for him to handle? Would he be in a blind rage and lash out at her for doing something without his consent. She placed this bond without even asking him, she couldn't even ask him because he was already dead. No, she couldn't bring herself to tell him just yet. Not yet. Y/N needed to process her own thoughts before coming out straight to him. But, it was best to never tell him. Although he went all this way to find out the truth about them, telling him and straining their relationship was not worth it. Y/N felt truly guilty for keeping it a secret, but she just didn't have the heart to tell him. Besides, what happened in their previous lives does not matter. What matters now is the present. Their relationship right now was the most important thing in the world for her. She just needed him right here with her and she would be just fine.

Sukuna placed his now healed hands on her shoulders to keep her from fainting. There was a lot for her to take and that it took a toll on her own physical body. "Hey. Are you alright?" The way he looked at her was exactly how he looked at her back then. It was the same facial expression and the same tone. How nostalgic. The way he treats her now was similar to how he did before, but the Sukuna in front of her was more stone cold compared to his alter. Sukuna back then was extremely kind and always looked out for her. Sukuna now, well he was starting to become soft. He's trying his best to be someone new. After reigning such a diabolic title, it would be difficult to change in an instance. But he was making an effort, and she wholly appreciates him.

"I am alright. Thank you for taking care of me." Again, the way she thanks him gives him such butterflies like a pubescent teenager, it was embarrassing. But this time, Sukuna didn't look away. He stared at her bright smile in contrast to his worried face. His face began to turn red once again, he completely forgot to look away, he was too mesmerised by her. The glowing from the river enhanced Y/N's vision. She could see his brightly lit face. This was a look that she had never seen him put on before. It was cute and refreshing. This was proof that he was different. She was the reason for his difference. Y/N's hands came up and held onto both sides of his face. She touched her forehead into his and pressed their nose against each other. Sukuna didn't flinch, he let her do this. Her touch was something completely different that he was addicted to. His eyes relaxed and his hands felt up the sides of her body. She was perfect to him, and she was completely his. Sukuna completely forgot about his goal in finding the truth, but to him, it doesn't really matter anymore since she was with him, safe in his arms, forever in his hold. Sukuna hugged her and placed his head on her shoulder. She sat on his lap and they just stayed there, for who knows how long. The forest they were in was always dark, it was hard to tell the time. But time didn't matter to them.