Chapter 23

The sun sat onto the horizon. It was almost the end of the day. She was quite far from the village now. As soon as the village couldn't be seen from afar, the day turned dark. The atmosphere was light and breezy. True freedom, right in front of her. But this was a trap, this was just to tempt her. Even if she fell for this trap, she would be brought right back to him, and he would not be happy with her in the slightest. From there, she would have fallen into a deep despair, one where she can't climb up anymore.

The trip back home was quite tiring, it would have been helpful to have a lift home, but she knew no one would off her to go to that forest. Most people tend to avoid that part of the land, so there was no way she was going to be able to be dropped off. Besides, not many merchants travel during the night, many cursed spirits roamed around at these times. No one would want to be slaughtered by those creatures.

Cursed spirits live to cause misery against others, curses or not, they will bring misfortune wherever they roam. One day, Y/N believes that this world will forget the existence of these spirits, and hopefully be set free. The future was so far, so alluring, she wonders what it would bring her, but she wouldn't think she would live till then. But maybe she would be given a second chance, a second life, a much better one than this one. If they allowed her to live another life. That new one would be her redemption life, one where she would make up her past mistakes from this life. One without the presence of Sukuna. She wouldn't be a servant, she wouldn't be a dog, she wouldn't be so loyal to an evil man. That was what she wanted.

This would give her a chance to change. This would give her a content life, one where she would have everything she desired. Oh, what a dream. But would she really want to stay on this earth? There were already so many unappealing things that the view of living here was just... unsatisfactory. What would give her a final push to stay here once more? Nothing. She didn't even know what would be waiting for her. The appeal of this life and current world was disappointing. She knew others would have rather not come back, unless they had unfinished businesses, like those cursed spirits.

Many people would be done with this world, and live in the next awaiting world above, and Y/N understood them. She wished to be content like them, and move on. But something was drawing her, making her stay right where she was. It chained her to the ground preventing her from leaving this place. Her soul could not let her pass on, even if her mind wanted to. But that one thing made her stay here, one where she could not get rid of. Sukuna. A curse of power, glory, and madness made her stay. Why? No answer.

Everything she had belonged. Everything related to her belongs to him. He was just as greedy as the Gods, maybe this was the reason he was worshipped, because of his antics and ideals. If she left him in this life, they are bound to meet in the next one. They are one and forever paired. She and him shall share that burden together. Why has she received this punishment? He should be the only one to take all, so why must she share with him? Unfortunately, no answer could be given. No would can or will give it to her. But one day, she shall discover it on her own, and when she does, he shall not know that reasoning, and she will carry it to her grave. There's always a reason for everything.

The forest came into view. It was such an odd sight to observe. There was a beautiful field surrounding the lands and right in the middle was a large chunk of trees that created an evil atmosphere. It was no wonder people avoided it. But also the story that circled around that place was odd. Something lived there, but people didn't know who. She would have thought Sukuna would come out and say that this was his place. Sukuna was a well known curse. Everyone knew him, whether they worshipped him or not.

The forest came closer to her, and it was completely pitched black. It was more unsettling compared to outside, at least the stars gave some sort of light. Y/N felt her stomach drop, she could feel something, something waiting for her right in the center. Was Sukuna back already? Her heartbeat quickened, but not in a good way. She wondered why he didn't pick her up, or destroy the village she was in if he knew she wasn't there. What would happen to her if she continued forward?