He laughed throatily before scooping me up and dashing me into the water. I braced for impact as I sank below the surface of the waves. My hair was sticking to my face when I found my way up again and the salty water burned my eye. Between it and the sun, I could hardly see a thing. 

I wiped the excess water from my face and even then; it took a moment before my eyes could open again. I glared at Miguel. He had an amusing grin on his face as he stared back at me. "You got my hair wet, you arse!"

His smile deepened into a laugh. "Well, how did you expect to swim without getting your hair wet?"

My hands found his chest as I gave him a hard push, making him fall back into the water. "I was joking!"

I turned towards the shore, taking a few trots towards it before I felt something grab my feet and pulled. A surprise scream escaped my mouth before I fell face-first into the water. Salt burnt my nostrils and the back of my throat. 

I found him and dragged him under, too. He started a war, and I was going to fight until my last breath. We wrestled in the water until we ended up on shore again. 

I was on top of him, my hands pinning him to the ground so he couldn't get up. We panted heavily, and my hair and clothes were sticking to my body like glue. His muscled abdomen pressed against my skin, but I paid it no mind as I peered down at him. "Why did you even challenge me, Miguel? I'm stronger than I look."

"Tell you what. If I pin you down for over ten seconds, you get to be my plus one and tell me about this Danica girl. If you pin me down, you can enjoy the rest of your weekend in the solitude you desire." 

I smiled in agreement. "Then you've already lost."

"No. We're starting...Now!"  

Before I could re-enforce my hold on him, he flipped us over so he was now on top of me. My eyes squeeze shut as the sunlight struck us from above and I groaned, knowing that my hair was now full of sand. 

"My hair!" I croaked out. 

He smirked. "You lose. I win."

I opened my eyes to peek at him, a smile twisting my lips. My voice was low when I spoke. Much like the voice I'd used when I wanted Carter to feel like I was into him. "Come here."

He shook his head. "That will not work, Heidi. I know all your tricks."

I frowned and glared up at him. "Fine."

His hold relaxed on me when he realised I wasn't struggling. It's been seven seconds. I have just three seconds to clutch this. "Fine, what?"

I pulled my hand away from his, wrapping it around his neck and bringing his face down to mine. His lips were soft, and they felt good. If the circumstances were different, this would've been perfect. He would've been perfect. 

His shock made him release me, and I seized the opportunity to straddle him. His hands found their ways to my hips and held them. I let him, knowing that this was just for ten seconds and after that, I would have peace. It wasn't so hard to do; I did it all the time with Carter. This was even more bearable because Carter was always pushing towards sex and this, this would just end as a kiss. 

I counted ten seconds before I pulled away and met his dark brown eyes. "Not all my tricks. I win."

**

I was in the living room watching the big bang theory marathon with Aria as she painted my nails. Dad stepped through the door then, and we both looked up to see him settling into the armchair across from us. He loosened his tie as he spoke. "I thought you were going to the banquet with Miguel."