Chapter 24

Chapter 24

We strolled along the beachside with our hands in each other's. The sun was blistering, but the gusty wind made it tolerable to be in. The sun visor hat on top of my head protected my face and my eyes were hidden behind the protective lends of my shades. 

"I'm glad you joined me for a walk, Heidi," Miguel said, a gigantic smile on his face. "I know you prefer to keep your weekends for yourself."

I gave him a small smile of my own. "Well, I thought it was a good day to go swimming."

"How are things with your old man? I hope he hasn't been too overbearing."

That made me chuckle. "We both know my father is the definition of overbearing."

He glanced down at his feet, watching the footprints we left behind before his eyes found me. I saw the sincerity in them and it made my heart ached a little. "Two more years and then you're off to college. Hang in there."

His words made my throat ached with emotion and I tried not to let them take me over. I changed the topic quickly. "So what's new for Hollywood's most influential teen model."

That made him smile. "Since you asked. I'm hosting a banquet tomorrow evening. It's all about empowering our youths."

"That sounds exceptional." 

"I would love it if you came as my plus one." 

 A nervous smile crept its way across my face. "I thought we were going to keep this friendly, Miguel?"

He laughed lightly. "This is me trying but you can't patronise me for shooting my shot." 

"Fair enough. But I'll still have to let you down. I'm not exactly looking to start anything right now." 

"Would you say that to Danica Harper? I heard you guys made out at school."

I stopped in my tracks, turning to him. I whispered, despite not being in earshot of anyone else. "How do you know about that?"

He shrugged. "I have my sources. Don't worry, I won't tell your dad."

I relaxed and began on our walk again. My bare feet sank into the wet sand. 

"Is she the reason you don't want to give me a chance?"

"I heard you met somebody new on the red carpet last week. What was her name..." I clicked my tongue in thought. "Naomi."

He smiled. "Naomi is my sister."

I shrugged. "Well, do good looks run in your family or what?"

He chuckled lightly beside me. "Are you always this evasive?" 

"Are you always this nosey?"

He was silent for a while which made me turned my head to look at him. He was handsome, sexy, and he stood up for equality amongst women. All of that should have made him desirable, right? There was just one problem. He wasn't Dani and after sharing that kiss with her just two days ago, I couldn't deny it anymore that she was the one I wanted. 

I looked away down the shore again as I waited for him to speak. "To be honest, I'm just intrigued by you." 

I couldn't help but chuckle at him. "That's so cheesy. Don't do it again."

He grinned before suddenly running off towards the incoming waves, dragging me along with him. My hat went flying, allowing the wind to have its way with my hair. "Miguel!"