Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I picked Jessie up at nine in the morning. Usually, I wasn't a morning person, but this video collage was a big deal for her. My idea for the video collage was for it to be as raw as possible. I spent the rest of last week trying to arrange the meetup so that the only thing we would have to worry about today was recording. She didn't know I had been recording her all week, and I caught some cool moments. There were even clips from her dance practices.

Today, I was taking her to the park. I wanted the chance to have her out in nature while recording her talents. I wanted her to be inspired and free while I recorded her.

I pulled the car to a stop outside the park gates. Jessie took a glance through the window before she turned to me. "What are you planning?"

I smirked, shutting off the car and taking the keys from the ignition. "I told you. I just want some shots for the video collage."

She rolled her eyes, completely unconvinced. "I don't believe you."

I squint at her. "Are you calling me a liar?"

She gasped, holding her chest dramatically. "Oh, dear God! No. I would never."

I shook my head at her, a bright laugh bubbling from my lips as I hopped out of the car.

Things were different between us since that day in the costume room. She was happier, more smiley and more affectionate.

She looked beautiful. Not that she wasn't before, but it was more noticeable now. Her eyes were a lot brighter, her skin a lot more radiant, and her lips... ooh!

I felt closer to her somehow, like the bond between us finally solidified. It made me excited. It made me feel like I could have a successful relationship without Heidi Sánchez haunting me.

I gather my things as she came around the car and took the hand she stretched out towards me. It made my insides warm and fuzzy, and that wasn't something that many other people induced within me. I smiled at her as we began our walk in the park.

"When will I be able to see it?" she asked, breaking the silence between us. But I didn't mind. I enjoy hearing her voice.

"When it's edited."

"Oh, come on. Don't I get VIP girlfriend access?"

I shook my head. "Nope."

She frowned, but her smile overpowered it. She was so happy nowadays, and it was contagious.

We walked along the jogging trail towards the giant stage in the centre of the park.

"I know this is sudden," she started. "and that you said you didn't want to go, but please can you come to Carter's party tonight?"

I groaned, feeling irritation seeping into my soul at the mentions of the words Carter and party.

"I don't know if I can," I told her lousily. "My mother literally won't let me go. She thinks that parties in the senior year are reckless and dumb."

Jessie sludged her shoulders in disappointment and we continued along the path. After a while, her face lit up again. "What if you don't tell her, it's a party?"

I bit my lip. "You want me to lie to my mom? You know I'm bad at lying."

"Just tell her you're staying with Aria. She will believe you."

I didn't respond as I thought about what she said. I could tell her I'm staying with Aria for the weekend, but that would mean an entire weekend at Jessie's house. Alone... with her... For an entire weekend.