Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I stared at the book in my hand. It was time, but; I felt nervous about what might be inside. I tried to convince myself that it couldn’t be anything bad. That I was just overthinking this, but that wasn’t working very much.

I took a deep breath and let it out, allowing my curiosity to overpower the part of me that rather procrastinate. I swung the book open and stared at the perfectly written up page in front of me, then with another quick breath, I began to read.

Hey you,

If you’re reading this, then that means you don’t completely hate me. (Nervous laughs) 

Anywho. Please, please, please take your time reading this. I recommend two entries a day (yes; I know it doesn’t seem like a lot... blah blah blah) but I promise you it gets overwhelming and I don’t want you overwhelmed before you have time to process it all. 

P.S. I know you probably won’t heed my warning because you’re the most stubborn person I’ve ever met, so bless your heart. 

Here goes nothing.

I smiled at what I was reading, recognising Heidi’s unmistakable tone instantly. I wondered what was inside the book now more than ever. Was it a diary of some sort? Did it hold all her secrets?

Curious, I turned to the next page.

I remember the first time I saw you. We were in second grade and you’d just moved here from New York. I overheard our teacher saying there would be a new student, and I wanted to be the first one to meet you. 

So, the first morning when you came, I dragged Aria out to the front steps to wait with me. She complained a lot, but I ignored her.

When I saw you step out of that car, I was so excited until I saw your face. You looked so sad like you were about to cry and I don’t know why, but that touched something inside me.

I tried talking to you all day, trying to cheer you up. Nothing I tried worked, and you mostly stayed to yourself. That worried me because you were so quiet. I thought you couldn’t speak. 

I begged Maria to take me to the flower shop the next morning. I wanted to buy you flowers to cheer you up, but Maria thought it was a bad idea. She cussed me out for making us late for school, but I didn’t care. I really wanted to get you something.

You never showed up for school that day and the flowers died.

I begged Maria again the next morning. Lol. She had had it with me but she took me, anyway. I got you a bunch of black orchids. I saw them in the flower shop and absolutely fell in love with them. Since then, they’ve been my favourite but sadly, I’m allergic. Sighs. 

You showed up for school that day, and I was happy. I’ll never forget the look on your face when I handed those flowers to you. I didn’t know if you’d like them since they were so unusual, but you did. Your sad face lit up into a smile that showed your one dimple and your missing front teeth.