Prologue

Prologue

June 5th

Freshman year

"Damn it!"

I muttered as I walked towards the exit. There Heidi was, her back against the lockers near the doors, with Carter pressed up against her. I couldn't see his face through the thick layer of brown hair that fell to block the view, but I could tell he was sucking hungrily at her neck as his arms roamed around somewhere under her skirt.

She laughed wickedly; the sound bouncing off the walls of the vacant hall. I remembered when I used to make her laugh like that. Her eyes would glint at me while her cheeks flush a deep shade of pink.

I sighed, pushing back the memories to continue forward. Her head snapped to me, a breath-taking smile already on her face. 

Still, I pretended not to see her as I continued towards the exit. The buses that would take us on our end-of-year trip waited outside. I hoped to make it out without having to deal with her. However, her being Heidi, already made that impossible.

Just as I thought, she pounced towards me. Carter said something to her, which she ignored as she came close. Her hips swayed and her boots clicked against the cement floor as if she was on a runway.

She stopped and folded her arms before me. A devious move that made her naked cleavage pounced up over her hands into my face. My eyes rested on them involuntarily.

She grimaced, forcing me to look away from the impulsive exposure of appealing human flesh to meet her eyes. Amusement grew within them and I could see all the devilish things she wanted to do to me in them.

"Dani," she started with her smooth voice. I shivered at how gracefully my name rolled off her tongue. God, I hated her.

"What is it now, my lady?" I replied, trying desperately to sound casual.

Her amusement peaked. "I just wanted to make sure you could find your way to the losers bus."

I rolled my eyes at her, making sure she could see just how annoyed I was at her immature behaviour.

"Don't you have anything better to do? Why are you always such a bully?"

"I'm not a bully." She told me feebly, her voice making my stomach tingly. "I'm just having a little fun with my friend."

I glared at her, unamused. "You are not my friend. You are not even worth a second of my time."

Hurt flashed across her eyes before she masked it with a poker face. It made me feel guilty for what I said, but I quickly talked myself out of it.

"Take that back." She demanded of me.

I shook my head. "No."

She glared at me, her eyes cold and jaws set tight. She had that look in her eyes like I just did the unthinkable. It's been a while since I've seen that look. The last time we were kids.

It was Christmas Day. Her father had got Aria the gift she wanted but forgot about Heidi. She video called me crying. "Bubs, what's wrong?"

"I'm a bad person." She sobbed.

"No, you're not. Why would you say that?"

"I'm jealous of my sister! Everyone loves her..." she trailed off and when she spoke again, it broke my heart. "Nobody loves me."

The entire conversation had brought tears to my eyes. "Don't say that, Heidi. Aria loves you. I love you. You can spend Christmas with me instead."