Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The second day of school was a lot better than the first. It didn’t bother me as much that Heidi was back. I tried not to think about it, tried to focus on other things. School, Jessie.

It was hard, especially since I still wasn’t speaking to Aria. I missed my best friend.

Jamie met me at my locker between history and math, a smile on her sun-kissed face. I could smell the aromatic scent of blooming flowers on her like she spent her whole summer gardening or dabbling in a meadow.

“Heidi is back!” She mused.

I almost gagged at the excitement in her voice. Just when I thought I could forget, she was here to remind me.

“Yeah, I know,” I told her, my head still buried in my locker.

“You still haven’t spoken to Aria?”

I shrugged, deciding not to answer at all. I didn’t want to dwell on the fact that Heidi was back, nor deal with the pain I felt whenever I heard her name or thought about her. It shouldn’t affect me anymore, but it did. Proving I wasn’t over it.

She still bothered me, and I hated that more than I ever hated anything in my entire life.

I discontinued the entire conversation, shutting my locker door and turning to her. “How was Panama?”

A radiant smile flickered across her face as she twirled a strand of her dark hair. “It was awesome. I met this guy named Juan. Absolutely stunning. Super sexy, smart...”

Her swooning made me chuckle. “You sound in love. I hope you collected his number.”

“How could I not?” She glanced at me with her same smile. “So, where did you go this year?”

“Nowhere. My mom has a new boyfriend, so she spent whatever little time she got with him and us. The hospital is still understaffed so they still need her.”

Jamie gagged, disgusted. “Is it another jerk?”

I started down the corridor with her by my side. “No. This one’s kind of nice.”

“What about you?”

“Me?” I asked, confused.

“Are you still dating Jessie?”

“You say that like you’re surprised.”

She looked at me with a raised brow. “That’s the longest relationship you’ve had. Of course, I’m surprised.”

“Well, if you must know, we are still dating.”

“Oh no. I know that tone.”

“What tone?”