Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Heidi’s POV

I chewed my fingers as I waited in the passenger seat. We arrived at my dad’s house for the past few minutes now but every time I thought about going inside and seeing him again it made my legs went weak. It made me antsy, and I was trying desperately to calm myself down so I could at least go inside, get my son and go home.

I hissed. “Damn it, Mum, why did you have to come here.”  

Danica looked at me from the driver’s seat. I didn’t want this to be the way she found out about Miguel. I wanted to tell her in my own time. When I could talk about it without choking, but the universe had one sick, fucked up sense of humour and had to let it happen this way instead.

“I’m coming in with you.” She told me, opening the door, but we couldn’t go in just yet. She needed to know what she was walking into.

I touched her shoulder, stopping her from exiting the car. She turned to me with her eyebrow raised in question.

I kept my eyes away from her face for fear that I would change my mind if I ever look at her. “I need to tell you something before we go inside.”

“You don’t have another child, do you?”

I chuckled at her question. “No, it’s just one. But that’s not it. It’s about his father.”

I watched her reaction from the corner of my eyes. She barely reacted at all, just chewed her lip beside me, which I wasn’t sure was good. I took a deep breath before I began. My heart was pounding wickedly inside my chest and I worried it was going to get tired soon and just stop. As I was about to speak, she did. “So, what does he have to do with your father?”

“Well, my dad is the reason Miguel is Henry’s dad.”

She was silent again, and this time I had to look at her to make sure she was still with me.

“Go on.” She told me.

I swallowed, not really sure how to tell her what happened. She wasn’t stupid. She probably already figured it out, just like she figured out Henry was my son before I even said the words. Yet she always waits on me to confirm the truth before she jumps to conclusions. I like that about her. I adored it, but right now I wished she would just jump to conclusions so it would save me from admitting the worst moments of my life out loud again.

“Two years ago, my dad introduced me to Miguel Rodriguez. A Hollywood model; very influential.” I started from the very beginning. “He wanted to hook us up then since I had broken up with Carter.”

“Wait, you Carter weren’t together?”

I shook my head. “Not after I kissed you that day. It was exhausting pretending to be someone I’m not. I was ready to come out, and I was going to tell you at my party, but you didn’t come. I hoped we could’ve explored those feelings.”