Chapter 1

Chapter 1

September 11th

Senior year

After that evening, things got weird before they got better. Aria tried to ask me about what happened. She wanted to know why I was crying. Why depression came over me that summer. I wanted to tell her because she was my best friend but I couldn’t. Heidi was the one who ended up telling her. 

“And tell her I am sorry.” She told Aria to tell me before she left.

Europe. That’s where Aria told me she was going.

“She going to live with her mom for a while.” She spoke.

“Why?” I asked.

“She’s working through some things.”

Now I was staring her in the face again two years later. I watched her emerged from her silver-blue Audi A6. Her hair was the same shade of gold that coiled into loose curls down her shoulders. Her eyes were the same deep blue that I remembered.

“She’s here,” Aria stated.

I swallowed a lump that formed in my throat. “I thought she was living with her mother.”

Aria looked at me, her light Hazel eyes searching my face. “She did, now she’s back.”

I sighed, watching her cross the parking lot full of cars to where we waited. I always admired the way she moved. As if she was floating above the ground rather than walking. She was just so graceful, so much so that I often believed she was an angel.

She was so familiar, yet so different. She looked grown-up. More mature, and her aura reflected that. Motivation stained her face as she made her way towards the school building.

All seniors wore a navy-blue pleated skirt paired with a button-down lilac shirt and a grey jacket. Heidi modelled the look as if she was on a runway. Her navy-blue tie was neat around her neck and held in place with a tie-pin designed in the pattern of our school emblem. She was the definition of a rich teenager and a private school.

Our uniforms were like the rest of the school’s, but also very different. Our jackets and skirts swapped colours. 

“She looks different,” I commented, unable to stop myself.

“Yeah, she gained some weight.” Aria agreed brutally.

“True,” I agreed. “But that’s not what I meant.”

She turned to me. “What then?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. She... just looks different.”

She shrugged. She was quiet for a second before she turned back to me. When she did, I could see there was something she wanted to say. “So, I was thinking. Could Heidi hang out with us this week?”

My eyes widened at her. “Absolutely not.”

She frowned, her hands limping at her side as she glared at me. “Come on, Dani. We are the only friends she has.”

“No,” I disagreed. “You are the only friend she has.”

She held her head down in defeat, knowing all too well that the pain lingered below. After all, it left her picking up the pieces when her sister switched sides.

She sighed, looking at me again. Her eyes pleading with me. She really wanted this. It weighed on me to know that I could ruin this reunion with her sister for selfish reasons.