Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Heidi sat across from me on my bed with her legs crossed in front of her. She had her hair pulled back in two French braids and she wore my mother’s red lipstick again. Her excitement made her antsy while she waited for me to show her what I got. “What is it?”

I pulled the box from behind me and rest it on the bed between us. She reached for it, but I grabbed her hand before she could have touched it. “Be patient.”

She nodded and pulled her hand back, watching me as I opened the box. She leaned in closer and we both gazed down at a pair of platinum necklaces. The pendant on one of them shaped like a heart that has a part of it missing. The part of it that was missing shaped like a key, and that key was the pendant on the other one. 

There were words on them. In the heart, the words “Only love” were in cursive and the word “forever” written on the key. 

I picked up the one with the key and handed it to her. “This is yours, Bubs. You are and will always be the key to my happiness.”

She smiled and turned her back to me, moving her hair away. “Can you please put it on me?”

I nodded, hooking the jewellery around her neck. It laid perfectly on her chest between the tiny buds she now grew. 

“Perfect,” I told her.

She blushed. “I know why that one is yours.” She told me. 

I raised a brow at her. “Yeah? Why?”

She grinned. “Because you’re a thief and you stole my itty-bitty heart.” Her voice softened to a tone that was too adorable. “Now it’s all yours forever.”

Heidi made it over me, sitting before me in almost the same way she did when we’re were eleven years old. She removed the lid from the box and we both stared at the pair of platinum necklaces. She had them pieced together as if they’d been like that since the moment they reunited; the day when she stopped being friends with me.

She reached for the one with the heart, fingering the pendant as she gazed at it. She got up and hooked it around my neck. “This belongs to you.”

I stared down at it, remembering what it signifies. My throat tightened. “I still have your heart?”

“Yes.” She said. “I told you. It’s yours forever.”

A tear slipped down my face, and before I even realise it, I was sobbing. “I thought you changed your mind. I thought you didn’t love me anymore.”

She shook her head, pulling me into her. I cried against her chest as she stroked my hair. “I never stopped loving you.” She told me and she meant it.

I cried even harder as a flood of emotions overwhelmed me. Relief, sadness, hurt, happiness, love. So much love. I knew Aria told me that she never stopped, but hearing it from her now meant everything in the world to me.