Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The door slammed shut behind her, and I jerked at the impact. My eyes found Aria's face where she stood near the bedrooms. Her face showed a hint of sadness and pure confusion, though she said nothing. I could see that I disappointed her.

I sighed into my hands and curled into a ball on the sofa.

"Why did we come here?" I asked softly. I hadn't realised I was crying until my tears started clouding my vision. "Why did we have to come here?"

Aria finally approached me, sitting where Heidi sat earlier. She met my eyes, sadness and concern on her face all at the same time. "Why? Why couldn't you just talk to her"

"I tried."

"No, you didn't. You got defensive." She turned to me completely. "Look, I know it's hard to just forgive everything that she's done to you. I know it's scary but trust me, Danica, the girl I saw, making sure you were okay and comfortable last night. The girl who lost a night of sleep and left her s... " she bit her lip. "She deserved more than being told to the face that you did not appreciate her efforts."

My heart sank into my stomach as I stared at her. I could not stop my tears from flowing, and her brutal honesty was... brutal. She finally stood up and turned away.

"Pull yourself together."

It took a while for me to stop crying. It felt like I was crying about a lot of things at once. Jessie and I, Heidi, disappointing Aria, almost being molested.

It was a lot but at the end of it all; I felt better. After a shower, then went back to Heidi's bedroom. I realised the carpet where I stained this morning was clean and I couldn't help but wonder if she was responsible.

Aria's words kept replaying in my head, and I felt guiltier every time. I threw myself into the bed and took up my phone. I checked social media in hopes to take my mind off things and it worked for a few minutes before everything started being a trigger for my thoughts.

Normally, I would respond to text messages from Jessie, but today there were none. Jamie texted, asking how the party was. I told her everything except the part where I passed out and almost got deflowered. The thought was just too disturbing. I didn't tell her about spending the night at Heidi's penthouse, either. That would just create an opportunity for questions that I did not want to answer.

Aria knocked at the door. "Feel better?" She asked as soon as she stepped inside. She was genuinely concerned.

I nodded. "A little."

She pulled a book from behind her and handed it to me. "You should have this."

I took it, examining it intensely. It had my name on it, but I knew for a fact that this book wasn't mine. I flipped it opened but Aria closed it back just as fast.

"Before you read this, promise me one thing."

I nodded hesitantly. "Okay."

"Promise you'll read it with an opened mind. Do not let your emotions take over. Take as much time as you need to process and understand what's inside. Don't rush."

I stared at her, confused. "What is this book about?"

She remained stoic. "You'll know when you read it. Do you promise?"

I gazed at her a while longer before I finally nodded. She smiled suspiciously as she turned on her heels. "Good."

I shook my head at her. "You're up to something. I just know it."

She beamed. "I'm always up to something."

I watched her disappear again before I stared at the book; she handed me. I thought about flipping it open, but I remembered what she said about having an open mind and checked remotions.