CHAPTER 5 - SUBTLE

HIM

"Noo...yaaa....", I let out, holding my head in my hands as I sat on the doctor's stool while Aditya walked across the room, interviewing me.

"Oh...Okay, so you're telling me that she isn't your girlfriend? Accha...so maybe you are the blind one because I saw something that you couldn't see."

Of course, I saw it. Her big brown eyes kept floating in my mind as I held my head, as I closed mine, for a minute.

"I mean...Siddhanth, someone who had been least bothered by anyone, was now cradling a girl's head in his arms, with the care I hadn't seen in this world, I mean as of yet, and you're telling me there is nothing between you two...do you think I am a fool?"

I straightened my head a bit, sliding my hands through my face, with my fingertips resting on my lips, feeling flustered by his questionnaire.

"I have seen you with your girlfriends, Siddhanth. I know you are not someone who pampers and cradles."

Yeah, that was me 5 years ago. Irresponsible, unbothered, not caring about anyone's heart.

"Bata bhai...I am asking you...what is happening, and if you love her, why don't I know? Do you know how the nurses were crowded outside the cabin? The whole unit is talking about how you brought this girl all the way up here. In your arms, like Shahrukh Khan." I lowered my eyes, feeling a bit shy.

"Oh my god, are you...are you blushing?" He looked at me, disgusted. I got up from the doctor's stool and turned around to face the window in his office. The setting sun looked gorgeous from here but I had another view in front of my eyes. Those big brown eyes smudged with kohl.

"Bhai, is there a movie you guys are a part of? And are you the lead? Looks like you two have been cast by Yash Chopra in the mushiest movie he could ever make." I chuckled.

"i...um...I...", I tried to explain the events of the day to him but he was in no mood to listen to a story. All he wanted to know was what she meant to me. And honestly, I would have spurted the answer by now, had I known one.

"I hit her with my car..." I let out inaudibly. Aditya swiftly held me by my shoulders to face him. All the colors of his face had blown away. I looked down.

"You...you did what now?" He asked me again, acting as if he had mistakenly heard, what he had definitely heard.

"I hit her with my car, at the airport, I was there to pick Baba up and out of nowhere, she came in front of the car and well, I..."

Aditya froze where he stood. I mustered the courage to look up at him. He looked inscrutable.

"Aditya..." I came closer to his face, examining. My eyes scrutinized him for an expression.

"Bro...this...ye to...this is a police case." I glared at him as he broke into a peal of laughter. I held him by his neck and pulled him down to the level of my knees before he started bawling.

"Oh my god! First, you hit an innocent girl with your car and now you're attempting murder on your best friend. What kind of a devil has possessed you, SIDDHANTH! LEAVE ME, YOU'LL BREAK MY NECK!"

Aditya begged for mercy as I wrestled him to the ground. Listening to his excessive pleading, I let go. He looked up at me, with puppy eyes. I forwarded my hand, grinning at his defeat. He held my hand and I pulled him up.

"You are an idiot." He said as he stood on his feet, dusting his clothes. "Wait. You said you were there to pick Baba up, where is Baba?" Aditya referred to my father as Baba because he had helped him complete his medical studies after his father passed away.