FATES

HIM

Blood dripped down my bruised lips as Baba dragged me down the staircase of our mansion. My mother's vails faltered in the background as I felt the heat of my body rush to my head due to everything that was happening around me - my fault.

"Deva! Leave him! He's our son!" My mother clung to my father's shirt as he pulled his arm from her desperate clutches.

"I would have loved to go childless-" He muttered through his gritted teeth as he yanked me up from the base of the stairs I had fallen face flat upon.

"Instead of fathering a man who now goes on in this world, thinking he is a mafia of some sort-"

"Deva! Please! At Least listen to him-" My mother fell on her knees, holding my father's leg as I watched her beg for a trial for me.

"Listen to a murderer?" He bent down letting go of my collar as he garnered my mother up, his arm circling around her frail body.

"Murder - murderer?" Her voice turned into a mere whisper as tears slipped down her mocha skin, her glassy eyes on me. I fluttered my dampened ones downs, unable to meet her gaze.

"Subah this man - he - Subah? SUBAH??? GOD! SOMEBODY CALL THE AMBULANCE!"

"I am sorry." I whispered to myself. The dark sky was now illuminated as the dawn had surpassed. I stared at the serene sunrise taking in a deep breath while I had a chance to, before it got all musty with the heavy traffic this city was blessed with, at all times. I took a sip of the black coffee from my mug, looking at my new neighbors jogging down the road in front of me. It was five in the morning, and yet there were people on the road, like, does this city never sleep? Well, I didn't hate people, but I felt like they knew my - my past and like they judged me for everything that I did. Mornings in London were nothing but exotic, with a view so gorgeous, I'd kill to take another glance, but, I had to be here, after all these years, no wonder my first morning in my sister's apartment did feel like homecoming.

My phone buzzed right when I was engrossed with the sublime sun, rising in its full glory.

"Right. Can't have this peace for more than 10 minutes at a stretch."

Well, I decided to avoid my phone because I preferred to check my emails and messages only after I've had a positive and peaceful start to my day.

*Phone buzzes*

I pinched the bridge of my nose, heaving out a bothered breath. I ignored the relentlessly vibrating device again, because I needed to have a right headspace, before I started this day. This day, that had given me hundreds of sleepless nights in the last five years.

*Phone buzzes*

"Ugh! In a MINUTE!"

See? Peace was exorbitant. I ploughed towards the coffee table, keeping the mug down and picking up that good for nothing piece of device that had caused a literal headache now -

*17 missed calls from Baba*

And about right at this minute, I had decided to jump off the balcony and sacrifice my soul to the view that I had been drooling over, because if I didn't do that, I would be dying a death by the hands of my father. My fingers shook as I tapped on the caller ID, which then started to ring through the earpiece, signalling the line that was now connecting to my doomed fate.

"Are you still as irresponsible as I thought you were?"

"Baba..."

"No, tell me. Am I making a mistake by trusting you?"