Chapter 89 - A Missing Robin, & A Injured Usopp

Start from the beginning

Paulie: "It crosses from the stern to stern and supports the ship. When you build a hip, you start off by placing the keel. Then, the stem wood, stern wood, frame wood... frame brackets and deck beams... We accurately place all those pieces of wood around the keel. That how a ship is built. The keel is the very foundation of a ship's framework. It's the essence of the ship. It's not something you can just replace if it takes on a lot of damage... Replacing the keel is the same as building a ship from scratch. So no one can fix her anymore. Your ship is just a collection of wood that can only await her end." he explained.

Nami: "Hey! Don't say it like that!"

(Y/N): "Calm down. They're experts at this, they're speaking the truth."

Paulie: "Your friend is right. It's the truth."

This made Nami and Luffy held back for a bit. Then Luffy asked for them to build one from scratch, build another Going Merry for them to sail like the last one. But the pigeon starts to talk.

Hattori: "COO COO! That's not possible, either."

(Y/N): "Why is that?"

Hattori: "We can build a similar ship, but strictly speaking, no one can build the same ship. In this world, there are no two ships that are exactly the same."

Nami: "What does that mean?!"

Hattori: "Are there any trees in the world that grow exactly the same way? Sailing ship are mostly made of wood, so the size and curves of the ship are all affected by the shape of the trees. That's why an exact duplicate of the ship can't be built, even when using the same blueprint. For example, even if we build such a ship, without a doubt, the ones who feel that it's a totally different ship... would be you guys! COO COO!"

The pigeon pointed at the three.

Nami: "Oh no... Then we really can no longer travel on the Going Merry?"

Kaku: "Thats right. You either do nothing and wait until she sinks... or you take her apart quickly."

It was true. They wouldn't feel the same if it was another ship. Luffy was having memories of the Going Merry when they started, even though (Y/N) has only been on the ship less longer than the crew, he does feel like it was wrong see ship to be gone.

Iceberg: "Well... your ship stands on her last legs. This is a good opportunity. Just give up and buy a new ship here. You've got money, right? I heard that your ship is a carvel. To start with, your future journeys will be tough on such an old-style ship."

Luffy: "No... I don't intend to get a new ship." he said with his eyes covered in a shadow by his hat.

Nami: "Luffy..."

Luffy: "Our... OUR SHIP IS THE GOING MERRY! IF SHE'S REPAIRED, SHE CAN STILL SAIL! IT'LL BE FINE! TODAY, TOO, SHE SAILED HERE COMFORTABLY! And yet, we're suddenly told that she can't sail anymore...? HOW CAN WE BELIEVE THAT?! YOU GUYS'RE SAYING THAT BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW HOW STRONG SHE IS!" he yelled out.

Iceberg stands and looks at Luffy while petting Tyrannosaurus.

Iceberg: "Will you be satisfied if you keep sailing on her until she sinks?" he asked.