Chapter 16- Teary Night

Meep- thoughts
Meep- POV
Meep- Kurama/Ninetails (Kyuubi)

Naruto's POV:

The sky was now warm shades of pink, orange and purple. We've been walking for hours, and was delayed when we stopped by a small town to help out. Our shadows grew taller, and everyone looked beat.

"Well guys, we're finally here!" Asuma sighed as the village gates opened up.

We saw amazing, golden-coloured lanterns hanging from almost every house you'd come across, colourful streams of paper were hung across each street above. There were exited chatting, and lots were smiling..

Oh right. The Kyuubi Festival. And worst of all, my birthday.

Scarecrow probably felt my uneasiness, because he broke free from the girls and ran up next to me, nuzzling his nose on my trousers.

I smiled weakly as Ino looked so dazzled at the sight infront of us. "Wow!! The Kyuubi Festival is so much prettier than last year's!"

Sasuke just looked away and frowned every time he caught someone laughing as they drunk some beer or had a laugh with a friend. Maybe he's lonely on these kinds of events too?

Scarecrow tugged at my trousers, trying to lead me somewhere "Woah- Scarecrow! What's wrong?"

"Don't worry kids," Asuma said "We'll gather some supplies and food we need back at the camp tomorrow morning. You can rest or look around if you'd want for tonight!" .

"Yay!!" Ino squealed "I can't wait to get home; Mom said I could go with some of the clan for the Kyuubi Hunt this year!"

"Kyuubi Hunt? What's that?" Tenten asked.

"Well kid," A grown-up told her "it's when some adults go off to find the Kyuubi Kid, who's somewhere in the village. I haven't seen it for myself, but I'd wanna join if I were you."

"Really? But what could a kid have done to be hunted by actual people?"

"Listen," a man added "the Kyuubi brat had destroyed our village and our people twelve years ago. Have your parents really have not told you before?"

"No sir, but thanks!" She said, join Ino "Can I join you for tonight, Ino?"

"Sure! Sakura isn't here so you're going to be my bestie for tonight!"

"What? Am I not your bestie already?"

The two girls laughed and chatted away together, fitting in with the rest of the crowds of people.

"C'mon Scarecrow, let's go--" I said to my dog.

"..Hey wait a sec." Sasuke called out for me as I was about to take a turn to my apartment.

"Hm?"

"Can you.. can you come with me to my house? Just for tonight." He quietly asked.

My face lit up, despite the fact that this night was supposed to be my yearly nightmare. "Uh.. sure?"

We walked down the darker paths of Konoha, not wanting any attention from anyone else. "Hm, I wonder. Why would a teme like you invite me to your house? Am I special?"

"Oh shut up, dobe- it's just for tonight." He muttered under his breath.

"What?" I teased.

"Dobe! I said shut up!!" He shouted and playfully punched my arm.

I laughed hard, not minding the swing Sasuke offered me.

I must have been imagining things then. Sasuke? Embarrassed?
His face turned quite pink and he shot his head away from my sight.