"It's nice to meet you," I said, smiling at them.

Lady June engaged me in conversation while her husbands engaged mine.

Ha. Look at me. I was starting to play along mentally with this charade. And they doubted I would be able to do it.

I felt like I was walking on eggshells with each word that left my mouth. The questions were simple, just not for me. General knowledge in this world was a challenge for me.

I wasn't the only one worried about my ability to have a normal, unsuspecting conversation with Lady June. I could feel the eyes of the others watching me.

"Lady June," Cassius said as he approached, Lester, trailing just behind him.

I almost sighed in relief at his appearance. If a normal conversation about weather and hobbies made me such a panicking mess, I could only imagine what I'd be like when I had to put on my wife mask.

"Lester has prepared your rooms and has gotten everything you've requested arranged. If you'd like, he could show you to them and allow you a moment to get settled before the others arrive and we all gather for lunch."

"That would be wonderful, Lord Cassius," June said, grabbing Rowan by the arm.

The four of them left with Lester and headed for the second floor where the guests would be staying. The moment they disappeared at the top of the stairs, my shoulders sagged in relief.

"What the fuck was that?" I turned at the sound of the strained voice.

Jaxon stood with his arms crossed and feet wide. His eyes were narrowed in Zev's direction.

I looked up into Zev's face, too. I was also curious about, as Jaxon put it, what the fuck that was.

Zev huffed a mocking laugh through his nose as he pulled out a spice cigarette and put it between his lips. "We're married. I'm just playing my part."

He turned as he lit his cigarette and walked off without waiting for Jaxon's response.

Zev's words made me realize a big part that I had managed to miss before. I knew I had to act like their wife, and while focusing on that fact, I managed to miss the other side of the coin.

They had to act like my husbands.

* * *

I hid out with Ezra in his workshop as the door continued to chime over the next two hours as guests arrived. I hadn't realized that so many people would be arriving. And according to Ezra, they didn't even make up a fraction of the total number of people that would be attending the party.

He was great at calming my nerves.

"Hey, you'll be fine. Come here, I have something to show you that will probably take your mind off things," he said. He grabbed a tablet from the side table near his armchair and returned to the table we were sitting at.

I took it when he held it out for me and gasped at what I saw. It was the picture that I had ripped. Ezra had scanned them, puzzled them together, and had started filling in the rip line seamlessly.

"I thought I'd help you have one less thing to worry about. I wanted to wait until I finished it before showing you, but I thought it would be a great distraction to work on it to take your mind off everything else."

"Ez..."

I didn't know what to say. No one had done anything for me before. Not like this. Not to make my life easier. He went above and beyond what I asked of him because he wanted to.