1

"it's clear and simple, attend cheong-ah high school and find out information about a past student named min seola," the man said, as he took off his black shades, and set it on the table. his facial expression remained stern, as he slid a thick envelope across the flat surface next to the cup of tea in front of me.

the envelope that determines whether i can afford my necessities this month.

this isn't some dramatic story where both my parents died or whatever. for the record, i live alone because i absolutely hate my toxic family, that's all there is. they kicked me out, or i left on my own, doesn't matter which one it was. as a result, i'm a part-time university student because i can't afford all the darn expenses to be a full-time student. instead, i literally accept any job to earn money and finally show my toxic family that they've wrongly underestimated me.

nevermind, that's quite cliche, not gonna lie.

"i've already forged documents and set up everything you need to pose as a high school student there. i'll also be in disguise as a gym teacher in school," he said, leaving me a bit shocked. he easily passed as a man who was filthy rich, dressed from head to toe in designer clothing, why does he feel the need to disguise as a high school gym teacher?

"you won't go by choi sooji in school, your name will be jung jiyeon," he continued as he explained about the students that i should be close with, and gain their trust.

"if this is all successful, i will provide you a big sum of cash to last you through university, as i understand the current circumstances you're in," he continued in his monotone voice, as i avoided his eye contact, looking at the window instead. it's embarrassing that the reason i'm being hired to do this is because my landlord threatened eviction once again, because i wasn't paying rent on time. the man my landlord owed money to, was the wealthy man named logan lee sitting in front of me.

instead of kicking me out, logan lee decided to hire me knowing that i didn't have much of a choice unless i was okay with being homeless. i guess he saw me as a perfect opportunity to be a resource in his goal of getting information on min seola.

cheongah high school is a performing arts school, but i literally have no talent so it's going to be hard blending in with the students.

i can't sing for the life of me, let alone classical singing, yet somehow this man was able to get me into the school. i just wonder how i'll even survive it there.

"as for transportation to school, i will provide you a chauffeur. if you need anything, regardless of what it is, request it from secretary hong," he spoke, as he still hasn't moved an inch at all, as if he was a talking statue.

i nodded because i didn't know how to respond to the conversation. my hands were fidgeting on my lap under the table, it was awkward and i could already feel that this is going to be a long ride.

he broke the silence again by informing me that i won't have to pay rent for as long as i work for him. eventually, the conversation ended and i went home to prepare for school the next day.

it was a hectic morning. i accidentally slept through my alarm clock and ended up spilling milk all over the countertop when i was trying to make cereal for breakfast. i practically tripped down the stairs because secretary hong kept blowing up my phone from the moment i woke up, nagging at me to hurry up.

mentally cursing myself for messing up already, i sat in the backseat as he briefly went over what i was expected to do, blah blah blah.