chapter 61 - answer in hesitation

Doubt

Doubt. There was doubt in her mind. Lennox was standing in the kitchen watching Bruce set up his time travel equipment and Steve was changing into the suit.

Lennox stopped him before going outside, "don't." She simply stated, he met her eyes and for once Lennox was not running from her problems. "Just don't."

"Len- I'm just returning the stones I'll be okay. I'll be back in a minute." He replied dropping her hands to her side and leaving the house.

He answered her suspicion in his hesitation of replying to her, she looked over in the other room where Scarlett was eating cereal.

Lennox stood watching out the window as she did the dishes, distracting herself from the pain. She had heard a bit of Bucky and Steve's conversation last night he had no idea that she listened to any part. She stood there and she watched him disappear in a blink of an eye. Lennox put down the dish rag and walked outdoor when she saw Bruce fumble with the keys on the machine.

"Get him back." Sam demanded to Bruce as Bucky stared off looking at Steve.

"I'm trying."

"Get him the hell back."

"Sam." Bucky pointed out Steve sitting on the bench holding the shield. Sam, Bucky, and Lennox walked towards him the two boy stopped a few seconds back while Lennox continued her stride towards him. He didn't look different from when he left.

"You did it." She whispered out as her voice cracked trying to keep her composure.

"But I came back I couldn't leave you and Scar." He pleaded, Lennox scoffed shaking her head.

"Yeah you came back but, you still thought about it. You thought about leaving me for Peggy. And I know she's perfect, brave, and kind. I know she's an amazing person but I am your wife. And you were just going to leave like that." Her voice broke and she walked off drying her so she wouldn't alarm the already distraught five year old.

Sam was next to walk over towards Steve, "this is for you." Steve handed the shield to Sam, Sam's face dropped in curiosity and in betrayal as he felt the pain Lennox was going through. "It's time for a new cap. I'm retiring." He simply stated as Sam tried on the shield.

"It feels like it doesn't belong to me." Sam responded and Steve shook his head.

"Well it does, just keep an eye on Lennox and Scar." He looked over at Lennox who had calmly walked inside and went into their bedroom.

"You just lost the most amazing person you ever had in your life." Sam commented, "I don't think i have ever met someone more devoted to someone else. But then you messed up." Sam finished walked over to Bucky when Lennox stormed out throwing a suitcase into the yard and flipping off Steve. 

"Mommy! Stop! What did daddy do?" Scarlett yelled as Lennox threw the last suitcase in the yard and sat on the ground.

"He did something bad." She said vaguely.

"He can apologize, I can make him. Please don't cry momma, Auntie Nat wants us to be happy." Scarlett pleaded as tears had finally trickled down her face.

Lennox had done the one thing she promised never to do, make her daughter cry and beg for her and Steve to get along. Lennox opened her arms and wrapped them around Scarlett, rubbing her back in comfort.

"It will get better i promise, you will still get to see him everyday. Okay. I promise." Lennox repeated over and over again.

Scarlett clung to Lennox's body as she began to sob, the sweet Natasha Scarlett Jane Rogers was in pain over her fathers actions. It was the cycle repeating over again. Lennox remembered clinging to Clint's body after finally understanding that her parents didn't want her.

Lennox finally let Steve in the house after hours of sitting on the front porch, Scarlett jumped in his arms and cried as she shouted at him to apologize to her mom.

Sam stood in the doorway next to Lennox who placed her head on his shoulder trying not to watch her daughters interaction with Steve.

"You hurt mom! Why do you not want me anymore?" She implored, Steve shook his head.

"No, butterfly. I will always want you as my daughter. I didn't know what I was thinking. I just wanted to visit an old friend without thinking." Steve explained holding Scarlett tighter than he had ever before not wanting to ever let go again.

" Steve explained holding Scarlett tighter than he had ever before not wanting to ever let go again