REMEMBER ME 𝘬. 𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘮𝘪𝘻𝘶 [ep3]

past lives & hanahaki disease au
first-person pov ! homophobia

It had been a few weeks ever since the start of school and joining the volleyball club as a manager. I thought it was selfish, it definitely was, but I used this to my advantage to get to know the dark-haired girl who I knew as 'Kiyoko Shimizu' and become closer to her.

The strong feelings I had for her back when I still didn't meet Kiyoko started to subside, for which I was grateful.

As I arrive at my classroom, a close friend ran up to me. "Yn, you better be careful okay?"

"Aren't I always careful though?" I joked, he shook his head violently,

"What I meant was, you should be careful on who you catch feelings for." He warned. "Don't beat around the bush, Enmei."

"You see, there's this disease going around, it's called 'Hanahaki disease' and apparently if the person you love doesn't love you back, you start coughing out flowers and blood, depending on the stage."

It didn't make sense to me nor did it scare or even affect me in any way, but it must be scary for the others who've started to experience the symptoms.

"Does it have a cure or anything?" I asked him while I put my bag down. "My dad said the one you love needs to love you back, but nobody really knows." He shrugged before taking a seat.

"Look, I don't need you to warn me, I don't love anyone right-"

He didn't even let me finish my sentence when he gives me a sad look, "Yn, I see how you look at that girl in your club. If it's evident that she bears no romantic feelings for you, please stop already. I know we've only known each other for a few weeks but that doesn't mean I don't care about you."

I sighed and smiled at him, telling him not to worry. "You must be blind then, cause that's just how I look at people I care for." I hate the fact that I just lied straight to his face and I know he'll support me with liking girls instead of guys, that was only if this disease wasn't disclosed to the students.

I was hurt too, really. If Kiyoko didn't like me back then I'd die in my teenage years, sometime before I can finally see my parents accepting Sen for liking men, and maybe even before I can see him go out with this Ushijima guy that he constantly talks about.

A month had passed by, everything was going smoothly until Kiyoko often talks about this guy she started to like. Everything went downhill from there.

-

The house had become quiet, even more quiet and lonely now that Sen was staying in dorms. He comes home every weekend, but today is a weekday and it was only Karasuno that had today as a rest day.

"Okay but, I miss Sen's nagging." A thought struck in my head, making me create a sour face. "If he heard that, he won't stop bothering me about it." I only sighed and was about to go out when the door opened,

"HOEBAG, I'M HOME!" It was Sen, but it wasn't only him, there were a couple of voices too.

"ANEKI!" He happily yelled and ran up to me then jumped to give me a hug, "SEN, YOU BITCH!" I yelled at him as we fell on the floor, "And you had the audacity to tell me that I'm going to miss you." I jokingly rolled my eyes in which he only laughed.

"Mm, maybe that's because I missed you talking about that girl. Also, did you find her?" He asked, before I answered, I pushed him off and nodded.

"Yeah, I did. She's in the same year as I am, just in a different class."

I had fun with his Shiratorizawa friends, I also learned that Sen joined the volleyball club as a manager just to "pull" Ushijima and possibly pursue a secret relationship with him. The other guys from the club were also nice and funny, I had a great time.

-

Days passed by once again but it wasn't a great time for me. I would have to excuse myself to go to the bathroom at least like thirty minutes every day to cough up flowers. If this was happening then Kiyoko definitely didn't have romantic feelings for me.

But I mean, why would she? Although same-sex relationships weren't judged back then, that didn't mean it's still like that in today's society.

I look over at Kiyoko from the bleachers, I was too scared to face her, thinking I'd have to cough every other thirty minutes once more and have to go through immense pain, so I told Coach Ukai and Takeda-sensei I wasn't feeling too good and said I'd rest in the clinic.

As I look at Kiyoko, I see her happily chatting with Sugawara. Sugawara is one of the guys who like her, he must be dealing with the same stuff as I am if his feelings weren't just attraction towards Kiyoko - "he must be dealing with the same stuff as I am" only if she was talking about a guy.

-
Second-person point of view

You didn't want to watch her happily chatting with a guy or even about a guy, so you quietly left the school campus to go back home. That was when pain struck your lungs, deciding it was best to run, you did, you ran as fast as you could back home.

You failed to notice that Sen was home, again with his volleyball friends, you knew that you should keep whatever this was that you were feeling, a secret, but you just wanted to vomit and cough everything out right now so that's what you did.

So much pain was in your lungs, it was hard to breathe. You haven't even seen Kiyoko with the guy she likes and yet here you were, feeling like you were on the verge of dying, literally one more deep and dangerous breath you took would be the end of you.

Sen and the others heard your aggressive coughing and just like that, Sen kicked the door to your bathroom open, not even caring about the damaged door and crouched to see if you were okay.

first-person pov

My eyes were blurry from the tears, my nose was tingling, my lungs hurt with each little breath I took but I felt the warmth of my brother's hands cupping my face as he looks and yells at me with an angry yet extremely sad expression on his face.

He looked back and forth to his friends, yelling at them to call an ambulance or whatever to help. He was panicking and crying, his hands were shaking, but I couldn't hear him over all the ringing in my ears.

"This wasn't supposed to happen..."

"Am I going to die, Sen?"

"NO, SHUT THE HELL UP YOU HOEBAG." He yelled at me, tears were still flowing down his cheeks, and before I could even process it, he carried me on his back as the paramedics came.