{21} Mated At Last

A scream tears past my lips as I tumble through the air, wind whistling loudly, as I try to grab anything that could slow my fall, but to no avail.

The branches break and my hands can't grip onto the brittle rock.

I close my eyes.

Is this it?

Is this my end?

Is this how the great Tequila Carter finally dies?

I make one last-ditch effort. If he's nearby, he should hear me at least.

"ROSE" I scream into the empty forest, my voice echoing loudly. My hope slowly diminishes when nothing seems to happen.

Then suddenly, I am snatched out of the air by a dark blur and my face is buried in soft fur.

I inhale his familiar scent and smile as his warmth surrounds me like a soft embrace.

****

"Rise and shine, princess," a deep voice murmurs in my ear.

Just a couple more-

Wait a damn minute..

Wolves can't speak..which means..

"Eros?!" I shriek, pulling back to look at him properly.

He shoots me a lazy grin and I can't help the smile that spreads across my lips upon seeing him. I throw my arms around his neck and bury my face in his neck, laughing happily. His arms slowly come up to wrap around me and I sigh in content.

"What's this for," he asks, quietly.

"I missed you," I murmur, and his arms tighten around me.

"I missed you too, milaya," he whispers, his voice thick with emotion as he buries his face in my hair.

We pull away slowly after a couple minutes and his mouth is mere centimeters from my own, his hot breath fanning against my lips. He leans closer and his lips brush mine gently. Sparks shoot up my arm and I shudder in his hold.

I've missed this.

And I've missed him.

But I can't.

I can't do this to him.

I can't do this knowing that all I'm doing, in the end, is hurting him.

I pull away, my eyes closing as I try to steady my breathing and put a bit of distance between us.

"Princess..?"

"I can't-" My voice breaks and I bite my bottom lip when my eyes burn with unshed tears.

"Sweetheart..." he croons, taking my lips gently between his and I sag against him, practically melting into the kiss.

His arms encircle me, pulling me into his warm embrace and I can't help the tears that spill over my cheeks.

I don't want to lose this.

Or him.

I don't want to lose what we are.

I wouldn't be able to bear it.

He pulls away and cups my face, staring at me with such a tender expression, that my heart aches and my tears fall faster.

"Eros..."I cry, my palms resting on his bare chest.

He shushes me quietly with a chaste kiss before resting his forehead against mine, his eyes closed.

"I don't know what the fuck my brother told you, but I need you to listen to me right now."

His crystal blue eyes open so he's staring right into mine.