Thirteen

The dwarves were lovely beings, they talked a lot and argued even more. It was funny to see how much they loved each other as brothers, yet they seemed to hate one another like their worst enemy.

They were like two chicken, fighting over the best place to sleep.

With a smile, you listened to their eager words and stories about how you had helped them. But despite the nice things they had to say about you, you couldn't help but look up to the sky over and over again.

The blue was getting darker and the clouds wandered slower.

The night was coming.

The boy must have noticed your behaviour. He lay an arm on yours, attracting your attention.

"Are you feeling unwell, (Y/N)?", he asked, frowning.

To show him you were fine, you smiled and rubbed his head. It made him giggle.

"Don't worry. I just don't like the night a lot. I would prefer to rest under a solid roof instead of the night sky. We should reach the temple before going to sleep.", a little worried, you glared over to Kratos, silently asking him if he agreed.

He nodded, but it did not seem like he believed it was possible.

"It's already pretty late. The temple is far away, by foot at least.", Brok said. "You should rest here. Our camp is safer than any spot out here in the wild."

Frowning, you looked at Kratos.

"I'd prefer to rest at the temple.", you told him, trying to sound not too worried.

With a short glance, he eyed you.

"The dwarves are right.", he said. "We should rest here."

"But the temple is not that far. We could make it past the break of dawn but early enough before the next morning arrives."

"I said, the dwarves are right."

"And I said-"

"Now, calm down you two.", Mimir suddenly interrupted.

The head was tied to Kratos belt, painting a strange picture. The way it was swinging with his every move made it seem like he was a bizarre type of decor or a trophy.

Pressing your lips together, you swallowed the sharp words that were laying on your tongue and nodded.

"Fine.", you mumbled, dropping the backpack that Kratos had given you. "If I have no other choice."

With an approving hum, Kratos nodded and let his own backpack fall to the ground. The boy did the same with his small backpack, making the triple complete.

It looked a little like a family that was traveling through the land for fun. Too bad that the real reason was a little less thrilling.

"If you insist on going on it might change your mind that Freya has her home a bit down the river.", Sindir mentioned with a crooked smile.

Surprised, your head twirled around and your eyes widened.

"Freya?! Master is here? In all of the places to be she settled here?", you asked, a little bit excitement in your voice.

Brok nodded.

"She's... not as welcoming anymore as you might hope. She changed.", his eyes wandered up to Kratos. "Her tears won't dry ever since her son has been killed. Her anger is unbearable. You might get in trouble if she sees you."

As if it was not of big importance, Kratos twirled his nose and turned away.

"Freya can't fight.", he said, helping the boy to lay out some fur for the night.

"But she is smart.", you said, grabbing his wrist so he would look into your worried eyes. "She might make it seem like she needs to protect herself and will attack you. Protection can be all kinds of things. Protection from physical harm is just one form. Mental harm exists too. I don't want to disrespect my master, she is a good woman, but she is as smart as she is proud. We could, indeed, get in trouble."

Gently, you squeezed his arm, noticing how stiff his body was.

The gold of his eyes shimmered towards you, his mouth twitched. But all that came from him was a soft growl.

"You're stubborn, brother.", Mimir complained. "Listen to what (Y/N) says! Nobody knows Freya better, not even Odin."

Again, Kratos did not react.

His lack of interest or worry was bothering you. He was powerful, sure, but an angry Freya was something that not even the gods wanted to mess with.

She was a two-headed snake, equally soft and kind as she was deadly and cruel. Her powers were not immense but it was her sharp mind and the broken heart of hers that made you shiver in fear.

If it was truly her desire, she would find endless ways of creating harm.

No, you couldn't risk that Freya and Kratos met. For the sake of both their well-being. And the boys. He needed his father.

"Mimir.", you picked the head up in both hands. "Is there another way? A hidden passage or a path that does not lead through Freya's territory?"

Thinking, the head frowned.

"I fear not. All of the paths, both hidden and obvious, all run together in the cave that lays below the tortoise that guards Freya's garden. We could try and sneak in when she is gone, but that happens rarely. She doesn't have another place than the garden."

"And if we try to reach the lake over the mountains?"

"Hm. No I don't think that possible. We could make it to the top but on the other side the mountains are sharp and not made to climb. We would fall into the freezing water."

A soft sigh escaped your lips. It tasted as bitter as the juice of a lemon.

"So, we have no choice but to sneak in?", you asked.

"Or we fight her.", Atreus said.

"Hush, boy! Do not think so foolishly. Do you have a death wish?"

He shook his little head.

"Then I'd say you should never think this way ever again. It will cost you your head."

Approving, Kratos hummed.