Fourteen

As night fell, the fear came.

Kratos, Atreus and the dwarves did not realise how terrible the night was. They were laughing and chatting, while cooking eitre meals on a campfire.

The boy was laughing, making the night seem a little less terrifying. His soft, childish voice warmed your heart. The smell of burning wood filled the air and little sparks lit up the night as if they were fireflies that wanted to burn the sky.

Sitting a little further away from the group, you chewed on some bread and a piece of meat. Kratos had given it to you, with a warning. He wanted you to eat it until it was gone fully.

It was weird, he had sounded caring that moment. As if he was truly interested in your well-being.

Hastily, you shook your head and got rid of the thoughts.

No, this was not a friendship that developed.

He wanted his payment and you were the only thing that could give it to him. If you were dead, he went all this way for nothing.

Swallowing the last piece of bread, you lay on the thin blanket that you had spread on the floor to create a space to sleep in. The ground below was hard and still frozen, but it wouldn't be as bad as the nights you had spend in Odin's castle, at Freya's side.

Freya.

As her name crossed your mind it caused a cold shiver to crawl down your spine. It felt like a creature sitting in your neck, waiting for you to fall asleep and bite you.

The queen of the gods once had been a dear friend of yours. Now, all that was left of her were good memories and nothing more. Maybe it would have been possible to make up with her. But not right now.

A sigh left your lips as you rolled over, to the other side and away from the campfire and tried to close your eyes.

But the feeling that something was trying to grab you from behind wasn't leaving you. Sweat began to shimmer on your forehead and your heart began to beat faster.

It felt like being followed, as if a hand could reach out any minute and drag you down into the deepest depths of your cruel memories.

The sound of steps reached your ears, making you jump up and throw yourself at the person that was walking up to you. A scream left your lips.

"Go away!", you screamed.

Anger was shimmering in your eyes. But this anger faded quickly, as you looked into the surprised, yet scared eyes of the boy.

His lips were trembling, his hands raised in the air. Shivering, he looked at you.

"I- I'm sorry if I scared you.", his voice was soft, but nervous. "I wanted to ask if you need more food."

For a moment, you just stared at the boy, eyes wide open. Your heart was beating like in your chest as if it wanted to burst any second.

At the campfire, everyone was silent now.

They stared at you, not understanding the strange behaviour all of a sudden.

Kratos was glaring at you.

He wasn't angered or worried about the attack. There was just a strange shimmer in his eyes, telling you that he trusted you not a single bit. He knew that something was wrong, you could tell.

Without hesitation, you looked him in the eyes. He was supposed to know that you were more friend than foe.

Then, you took in a deep breath, closed your eyes and got back up on your feet, pulling the boy with you.

"No, I'm sorry.", you said, smiling softly at him. "You surprised me. I- I usually don't sleep outside. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, eh?"

You tried to smile while running the back of your neck and blushing.

With an awkward grin, the boy nodded.

"Okay? Maybe you should come closer to us then. A group offers more protection. You will feel safer with father around. He's great at protecting things."

"Hm, indeed. But no, I don't think that is necessary.", your words stopped. "I would like to... go on a walk."

Hastily, you turned around and wanted to leave. But as a little hand grabbed you, you looked ack, struck by surprise.

With a smile, the boy held onto your hand tightly.

"I'll go with you. For protection.", he grinned.

Surprised, yet embarrassed by his offer, you blushed and turned away to hide an amused smile.

"Boy.", Kratos voice suddenly sounded. "You stay here."

Protesting, Atreus turned to his father.

"But father if I don't go (Y/N) will be all alone!", his little voice sounded so concerned, it made you blush.

"Gods can look out for themselves."

The boy wanted to protest again, but you cut him off before he could make any mistakes and anger his father.

"Your father is right. Don't worry about me, I will be fine. Don't be afraid, I will return.", you patted his head.

"When?", the boy asked. "Before we go to sleep?"

A soft laugh escaped you.

"I don't think so. You see...", you bowed down to whisper into his ear. "I got some god stuff to do. Nobody is supposed to know. Will you keep my little secret?"

With big eyes Atreus threw a gaze over his shoulder. He squeezed his eyes together, as if he was suspicious and pulled a face. As he turned around his eyes shimmered.

"I will keep your secret.", he whispered back. "But promise me you come back."

With the eyes of a puppy, he grabbed your hand and forced you to look at him until an answer left your lips.

With a sigh, you grinned and shook your head.

"I can't promise when I'm back. But I will be. Tomorrow, at some point.", gently, you forced him to let you go and patted his head. "Now be a good son and go back to your father. He looks grumpy already."

With a broad grin, Atreus crunched his nose.

"He always looks this way.", he giggled and ran off.