Twenty-Seven

It was strange, he hesitated to pull away or return the kiss.

He just stood there for a moment, frozen, until he had made up his mind. Or his instincts had decided, you couldn't tell exactly.

He leaned into the kiss, his lips were parted a bit, allowing him to slip the tip of his tongue into your mouth.

It was a careful move, almost boyishly and shy. The taste of wine faded and changed into the taste of grapes and fresh fruits that were unknown to you.

They must have been from a different world, far, far beyond your knowledge.

As soon as he had leaned into the sign of affection, the darkness around you faded. Light spread and began to blind your eyes.

For a second, the world drowned in white and sparks. A cold shiver chased through your body, you squeezed your eyes shut and hurried your face in the crotch of Kratos' neck.

Before the light disappeared again, a sound of magic filled your ears.

You could feel Kratos moving below you, his hands reached up and he pulled you closer to his chest.

Was he shielding you with his own body?

Suddenly, everything went dark again. It was only for a moment and the memories already faded into nothing again, but the light had been there and it had taken the darkness with it.

Carefully, you dared to open an eye. It was still dark, but this darkness was different.

It wasn't the evil darkness that lurked in the back of your head, it was the common darkness, friendly and familiar that filled a room at night. A surprised breath left your lips, as you raised your head higher and spotted a mosaic of the gods on the ceiling.

It was the finest work of art you had ever seen.

Without a word, you slid out of Kratos' grip and dared to step into the undiscovered room that had revealed itself all of a sudden.

There were bookshelves, overflowing with scrolls, books and even older manuscripts. Even plates of stone were neatly piled up.

The crests and symbols they held were unknown to your eyes, but your tongue knew the words all too well.

"The gods and their fates.", you whispered and let your hand run over the cold surfaces.

Dust, collected through the centuries, twirled up and made your eyes watery.

"We don't care for ancient history. Where do we find you?", Kratos voice was calm, but you could hear the impatience in it.

He wanted to leave, the only thing that kept him on the spot was the thirst for knowledge about you.

With a testing gaze, you looked at him. His face didn't react, no smile, no twitching of his mouth or anything that you had learned about him.

He was as cold as a stone, acting as if nothing had happened a few moments ago.

You could still feel the warmth of his lips on yours, his taste still stuck to you.

And the desire to kiss him again was lurking inside of your chest like a creature that wanted to kill. But he didn't seem to feel any of this.

He was the same, cold man that he had been before. Unmoved and unbothered.

His eyes moved, expressing a silent question.

As a response, you just smiled thinly and shook your head.

"I'll see what I can find.", you said and disappeared between two rows of bookshelves.

Your legs carried you quickly, quicker than intended. It felt like you were running from something.

The rows of shelves didn't seem to have ends, just like the corridor before. Left and right there was nothing except for books and words and knowledge that had not been touched in ages.

Every now and then you threw a gaze over your shoulder and every time you were able to see the beginning from where you had come. It felt like every step was a mile, but the beginning was never out of sight.

What magic was this?

An illusion, a spell to curve time and space perhaps?

With the shrug of your shoulders, you walked on, only to be stopped by the sudden urge to break something. It was strange, usually you were a god of calm nature, not made nor interested in the art of violence.

But the further you walked, the more anger filled your chest. The urge to hurt someone grabbed you like a disease. It crawled into your chest, up your throat and into your brain. It poisoned your mind.

Filled with this anger, you bit your bottom lip and twirled around. There was this desire burning in your chest, this wanting to get your hands onto something, onto someone.

The thirst for blood was driving you insane.

"Kratos!", you screamed.

Your anger took him by surprised.

He didn't react as you jumped at him.

He didn't even react as your nails dug deep into his pale flesh.

Blood came flowing out of the little wounds, drawing lines and painting pictures of pain and betrayal on the muscles of his.

Unimpressed, he let his axe fall to the ground and tried to grab you by the neck. But you had a big advantage, you were only half of his size and smaller which made it possible for you to slip under his arm and jump back.

With a swift movement, you placed yourself behind him and let your hands run down his back.

Thick nails scratched over his skin like claws, ripping open a few spots.

With an annoyed sound he twirled around, anger was burning inside his eyes.

"What is the meaning of this?", he asked in a loud voice.

Ecstasy rushed through your veins as his anger filled your ears. It made the air tingle and filled you with the thirst for more. A broad grin appeared on your face.

"I wish to hurt you.", you whispered in a dull voice.

It felt like your head was as heavy as a stone, filled with honey and slow thoughts. You didn't feel like yourself no more, instincts and violence had taken over.

What was this strange feeling that was was growing inside your chest and corrupted your body?

Why did it feel so mighty?