Three

"I've told you to leave the deer alone, boy.", Kratos said, as they walked back home.

Exhausted by the many arguing, Atreus rolled his eyes.

"I wasn't trying to kill it. Promise. I met it by coincidence and it started to play with me. It even gave me some shiny rock. Look!", with the usual excitement of a child, he pulled a stone form his pocket and held it up, so his father was able to see it.

Sceptical, but not angry, Kratos eyed it.

It was a surprisingly pretty rock, shining white like the snow. As the light of the evening sun got caught in it a rainbow was created.

"That's a diamond.", Kratos said, a little surprised.

Atreus laughed.

"Don't be ridiculous, father. Diamonds are shaped differently. And they look a lot better. This is just a shimmering rock."

"Hm. No. This is a diamond. Raw and unpolished."

Without further mentioning, Kratos pushed the door open and let the boy enter the warm room of their cabin.

Mesmerised, Atreus twisted the rock form all sides, to have a bigger view and held it into the shimmering light of the campfire.

"Ah. Your luck that nothing happened with the fire. I wouldn't have been able to put it out. You know, I have no lungs.", Mimir joked, as he noticed the return of the two. "Oh? What do you have there, lad? Seems like you're enchanted by it. Let old Mimir take a look at it. Come on, let me see what's so nice."

Grinning from one ear to another, Atreus walked over and held the rock underneath the heads nose.

"Look! Father says it's a raw diamond.", he turned the stone, so that Mimir was able to examine it.

Surprised, yet confused, the head raised his eyebrows.

"By Odin's balls, this is a raw diamond!", he said. "Those things are found rarely. Where did you get it from? You didn't steal it from the dwarfs, did ya?"

"Haha. No! The deer gave it to me."

"The deer? What deer?"

"A pretty one. It had white fur and antlers so big they would have made great weapons."

Even more confused by the boys wild descriptions, Mimir frowned and looked at Kratos.

The god of war had settled at the campfire. His golden eyes were fixed onto the meat that was roasting on it.

"The deer was... strange.", Kratos said, without looking at Mimir. "It had a golden crest on its fur. And it seemed intelligent."

"A shapeshifter, you think?", Mimir asked.

"Maybe."

"Oh, lads, that makes my beard tingle! I haven't seen a shapeshifter in eons. Odin has killed a lot of them, you know. Ever since then, they have disappeared. Maybe you will be lucky and meet one. That's a one in a lifetime experience."

Unmoved, Kratos frowned.

He was a god. Age didn't matter to him.

His life was endless so he would have been able to meet a lot of creatures if he had wanted. If for his son, he wasn't sure. Atreus was developing like a normal child.

However, considering that he had his mother's and fathers blood, he was probably a little more immortal than Kratos himself.

"Are we going to look for it, father? Please! I want to see a shapeshifter.", the boy insisted, taken by his excitement.

"No. Leave the creature be. Shapeshifter or not, you must not bother it.", Kratos said and handed him a piece of steaming hot meat. "Now eat. It will get cold otherwise."

With a hungry spark in his eyes, Atreus grabbed the food and stuffed as much into his mouth as possible.

He was a lively boy for his size that needed almost as much food as his own father. That was weird to look at but not unusual, since he was still growing. It seemed that he had inherited Kratos' hunger as well.

"Eh, what about me, lad? Im hungry too.", Mimir said in a serious tone.

"You don't even have a stomach for the food. Now shut up, head.", Kratos ordered and took a bite himself.

He wasn't hungry very often but when he was he liked the taste of fresh meat the best.

After all the bad he had seen and felt in his life, he was relieved to know that his mouth was still allowed to taste the finer things that this world had to offer.

He still remembered how the wine form his home world had tasted. He still remembered the taste of olive oil that his wife had used to cook every single time.

Those were bitter sweet memories but he rather felt the pain of the past then forget it.

"Do you think we will meet the deer again?", Atreus asked after a while.

"I don't know.", his father answered.

"I really want to see it again. Maybe I can convince it to be my friend. I'm good with animals."

"I don't think it will work."

Disappointed, Atreus frowned. He wanted to say something, Kratos could see it in his young eyes but his words were cut off as a thin layer of snow suddenly fell through the hole into the fireplace.

As the cold emerged with the fire it caused a loud hiss to fill the cabin.

Surprised, the both of them looked up, Kratos hand was already reaching for his axe. But there was nothing to be seen.

"A bird, perhaps.", Mimir wondered.

"There are no birds here in winter.", Kratos said and got on his feet to get a closer look. "It's something else."

As if there was a threat sitting on his own roof, he raised the axe and stepped closer to the fireplace. With a grim expression on his face, he let his eyes wander through the sky.

Suddenly, a shadow moved.

Surprised, he grabbed his axe tighter.

Suddenly, the shadow came closer to the edge of the hole. It grew and grew, until it had the size of a normal human being.

Then, it leaned forward.

And suddenly it slipped and fell through the hole into the cabin.

Struck by surprise, Kratos reached for Atreus, grabbed him and pulled his son close. Ready to fight, he raised his axe, a hateful expression was laying on his face.

But the creature that had landed in the fireplace didn't seem to be threatening.

Instead, it rolled around in the fire, cursing and yelling, while slapping out all the little flames that were biting into the white fur jacket it was wearing.

With an unsatisfied growl, you jumped out of the fireplace and put out the last flame that was burning on a strand of your (H/C) hair.

"Gods.", you sighed, looking around. "That was the stupidest thing that ever happened to me."