Forty

Helheim was a world of cold and cruelty.

Death was not a pleasant thing, but Helheim did your old friend no justice. It was naked and frosty, without any comfort for the dead. It purely served as a place to keep all of those poor, doomed souls together.

As the group crossed the bridge of the temple, your eyes traveled up to the gates. A valkyrie, the spirit of a woman, was sitting at its top.

He watchful eyes scanned the arriving souls like a hawk its prey.

"Look, father!", Atreus pointed at the guardian of Helheim as if she was a dog that could he pet. "It's Rota. She returned."

With an approving nod, Kratos confirmed the words of the boy and looked up himself.

The grip around his axe tightened as he locked eyes with the valkyrie. He must have had a big fight with her, otherwise she wouldn't have moved her head and twitched as she noticed him.

"Do you think she will let us pass?", Atreus asked, whispering to you.

With a worried smile, you leaned down to him and grabbed his shoulder to press him closer to you. He was holding his bow in both hands, but you could tell that he was worried.

Apparently, he didn't want another fight with this spirit.

And to be fair, you weren't wanting anything like that either. After all, the valkyries were servants of Odin himself. They held a lot of power and Odin never picked low standard fighters to stand by his side.

"We will see.", you answered and pushed the boy further, so he was walking between you and the protection of his huge father.

Hopefully, Kratos would be able to restrain his anger.

With each step towards the gates, your heart began to race faster. Warmth filled you, caused by the adrenaline that rushed through your veins. It was a pleasant side effect to chase away the cold of Helheim.

It felt worse then death. After all you knew how death felt like.

Suddenly, a shadow moved in the corner of your eye.

Your hand twitched, grabbing the knife that was hanging at your side.

The boy was the only thing that made you regain common sense. Hastily, he put his hand on yours and pressed it down, so you couldn't draw your weapon.

"(Y/N), don't.", he whispered. "A weapon is an invite for a fight to a valkyrie."

Swallowing thickly, you let your fingers loose and your hand fell to your side.

"Then tell your father to put his axe away.", you answered with an angry face and glued your eyes to the female spirit that was blocking the gate with her wings.

"Is she angry?"

Squeezing his eyes together, Mimir tried to throw a gaze around Kratos to the valkyrie.

Of course, he didn't succeed, he was a head after all. But the look on his face would have told a bling man that he was everything but pleased to meet her.

"Did she kill us yet?", the head asked in a sarcastic tone.

The boy frowned, not getting that this question did not need to be answered.

"No we are still alive.", Atreus replied.

"Splendid. That means she isn't angry. At least not yet."

With a cold look on his face, Kratos stopped before the spirit and lowered his axe. It was a sign of respect and a silent question to propose a bargain.

With empty eyes, the valkyrie Rota lifted her chin and faced the man that was towering before her, ready to enter the world that she was to protect.

"Speak, intruders.", she allowed with a movement of her hand.

She was armed as well, but the weapon didn't look like it could do damage to the living.

At least you hoped so.

Kratos eyes flinched and his mouth twitched in an unsatisfied manner. But he wasn't stupid and held his displeased feelings back instead of trying to cut the head from her shoulders.

His axe wouldn't have made any damage to her anyways, at least not unless it was blessed by a dead person.

"We just want to pass by.", his voice was so mighty it cut through the frosty storm like a blade through flesh.

A shiver ran down your spine as you remembered that is deep voice had begged you to not tempt him. And a smile appeared on your face as you recalled the moans that this voice had gifted you.

With a questioning look on her face, the valkyrie eyed the group of yours.

"I know your faces. You are the man of war that has fought me. It is thanks to you that I am no longer trapped in the body of a mortal. Have my thanks for that.", she bowed her head in gratitude. "However, it is impossible to let you pass. This wold does not belong to the living."

"We do not wish to stay long.", with a warning gaze, you told the boy to stay back and stepped forward yourself.

Kratos eyes shimmered, as you looked at him for a second. He didn't want you to stay so close to the spirit, grabbed your hand and pulled you back to place himself before you like a shield.

His body almost covered you entirely, making it impossible for anyone to harm you before Kratos would get his hands on that fool.

"Keep your mouth shut, healer.", he hissed and fixed his gaze onto the valkyrie.

"Hold it.", Rota tilted her head, eying you. "I know your face. You must be who they call healer of the gods. Tell me, what brings you here, to the gates of the underworld itself? Rumours have it that you and death are friends."

With a sigh, you nodded. Being friends with death seemed a bit exaggerated. You simply knew what price a life had and what death wanted in return for it.

"I greet you, Rota, valkyrie of Helheim.", you bowed your head to her, earning an approving nod. "My visit has a rather grim nature. I was robbed by Thor. I must seek this world to get back what he took. We do not mean any harm, nor do we wish to cause trouble. We will go in, find what I desire and return as quick as possible."