Nine

Carefully, you lay Atreus down in his bed.

He was still vast asleep, not noticing anything that was going on around him. His little breaths filled the silence of the cabin like a song. He truly was the only thing that put life into this godforsaken place.

"I am surprised to see you here again.", Mimir said with a testing glance. "I expected Kratos to kill you."

Smiling, you tilted your head and eyed the big man that was trying to put on a new fire.

Your eyes wandered over his back, followed the flow of his red tattoo and returned back to the broad spine of his.

He was well build, even for a man of his age.

"Is that so? Do you think he is such a fool?", you asked, loud enough for Kratos to hear it.

"I am no fool. But I kill if I have to.", Kratos answered before Mimir could.

Acknowledging his warning, you nodded.

"I appreciate the honesty. Do you always choose violence over words?"

"No."

"Interesting. So, you do have the ability to communicate properly. But it seems you are no man of many words."

"You seem to have all the words I don't use."

Laughing amused, you crossed both arms in front of your chest and nodded in approval.

He had a sharp tongue.

Not a surprise, but it still seemed a little weird. It didn't suite him.

In your eyes, he was this tall, muscular man that killed before asking questions.

You were the total opposite to him. You preferred words over violence. That was why you had become a healer.

But even you and to admit that this world was a cruel one. Most of the time, words meant nothing.

"Now, let's put this little game aside and tell me, lad why suddenly change your mind?", Mimir interrupted the little conversation. "You usually don't do that."

Letting out a sound that was something between a growl and a displeased hum, Kratos dumped some firewood into the flames.

Not turning around, he took the axe from his back and placed it on a holder on the wall.

"I didn't change my mind. The boy did.", he turned his head to look at you.

His sheer gaze was enough to send cold shivers down your spine.

How was it possible for a man to look this cold?

And why did it feel good to look him in the eyes?

It felt like a challenge, something to beat in order to gain a price. You loved challenges. But Kratos wasn't your usual choice of opponent.

He was a bit... too much for you.

And despite your habit of having a smart mouth, you did not dare to be too lively in his presence. Somehow, you felt like your behaviour could test his nerves.

"Ah, so you're trying to be a good father.", raising your chin, you glared at him to see his reaction.

Without a word, Kratos turned around and began to pack a bag. From the corner of your eye you were able to see his mouth twitch.

He wanted to say something but didn't.

"So we are going on another adventure!", Mimir said in a cheerful manner.

He was visibly pleased to finally get out of the cabin again. Only the gods knew for how long he was hanging on his spot already.

"You stay here. It will be a quick trip.", Kratos said.

Shocked, Mimir looked at him, begging you to help him.

With an amused smirk, you walked up to Kratos and kneeled beside him.

Surprised by you being so close to him, he turned his head and looked at you. He seemed a lot less angry now, maybe even a little relaxed.

When he looked at you like this, he gave the impression of being a normal man that was able to love and laugh.
He truly had a nice face.

Not even the scar was able to change that.

"I don't want to anger you, but we won't be able to make it a short trip. Thor is a little minx, so he did what every fucker like him would do. He made it as hard as possible for me to get back what is rightfully mine.", you tried to explain.

Displeased, Kratos frowned.

"Get to the point.", he growled.

You sighed.

Closing your eyes, you began to massage the bridge of your nose.

"Do you remember when I told you about the curse?"

He nodded.

"Well, this is a situation that would trigger it. I can't tell you the details. I can't even tell you where we have to go. Let's just say that this little adventure has, at least, nine spots that we need to visit before we have any chance of getting my gift back from Thor."

For a long moment, he just started at you.

The gold of his eyes shimmered in a mysterious way, making you believe he was about to throw you out again. Then, his eyes turned away from you.

"So we have to visit every single one of the nine worlds.", he finally said.

"I can't confirm that.", you said.

"You don't have to. I am no fool."

A smirk spread on your face.

"I can tell. Otherwise I wouldn't have chosen you."

Not approving but acknowledging your words, he nodded and pressed an empty bag into your hands.

Overwhelmed by his strength, you stumbled back and fell onto your backside.

A soft gasp escaped you, as the hard wooden floor greeted you.

For a moment, Kratos eyed you up and down, judging you, before letting out a noise that was something between a displeased growl and an amused huff.

"Hey, if you got to tell me something say it now.", you said with a challenging voice. "I would like to put all differences beside before we go and travel for months together."

Throwing a gaze over his broad shoulder, he frowned, visibly confused by this request.

By this time you had already figured out that he always frowned whenever he was surprised.

Granted, it wasn't the usual expression of surprise but he seemed to have his own way of showing emotions.

"I just thought that it's mesmerising how you are still alive.", he said in his calm, deep voice. "You seem to be very weak."

An amused sound escaped you.

"I'm a healer.", you said.

"Doesn't matter. You're weak."