Ten

It was surprising with how much care and gentleness Kratos cared for his son.

While the boy was still asleep, he had allowed you to grab some food and placed you in a corner, so you wouldn't disturb him.

Then, he had bought cold water and prepared meat, in order to offer the boy some food when he awoke from his deep slumber.

It was strange, you thought, to see a man like Kratos in such a position, as a father. It didn't seem to fit onto the picture nor to his appearance but it suited him.

With a thin smile on your face, you watched as he shoved another pillow under the boys head, so he would have it comfortable.

He must have felt you staring, because as he turned around, he frowned, telling you without words to stop.

"My apologies.", you mumbled and shoved an apple into your mouth.

The fruit was surprisingly juicy, the flesh was soft and the skin had a bright red colour. Whoever had grown these, the person must have had a green thumb.

Besides, it wasn't the usual season for apples to grow.

So where did he get this from?

Noticing your confusion, Mimir tried to loosen the tension in the air.

"Ah, it was a present from Freya.", he said in his usual, eager voice. "Unfortunately, Kratos has killed her son. She doesn't like us anymore."

Snorting, you covered your face with both hands.

"Really?", you asked, trying not to laugh.

Without saying a word, Kratos nodded, humming.

He was making those kinds of noises a lot.

Maybe that was his way of communicating without actually having to use his mouth. To be fair, he did had a good readable fact.

It was easy for you to tell whenever he was close to bursting out in anger or when he was confirming something.

"Killed Baldur, the invincible himself. I can't believe it.", with a grin, you took a piece from the apple. "Freya must hate you with every inch of her being. She loved that fucker a lot, you know? So much, she took everything from him just so he would stay alive. Huh, to be fair, without that spell of hers he would have died a lot earlier. Wasn't the brightest candle on the cake."

Again, Kratos nodded while caring for the fire to not burn down. At that moment, he looked clam and almost gentle.

With interested eyes, you let your gaze wander over his body, from the bald head down to his bearded face and the broad chest that he had.

There must have been some giant blood in his veins, otherwise it was impossible to look this huge. It was strange that his son looked so small.

Despite his age he must have been higher if Kratos was truly his father. Maybe the woman that had given birth to him had been a dwarf.

The smile on your face broadened, as the thought crossed your mind.

Suspicious, Kratos glared at you.

"What is so funny?", he asked.

Unsure if it would be wise to tell him, you swallowed the apple while looking for the right words. It seemed that his temper was short, so you must be careful with what you said and what would better stay unspoken.

"I just thought that it is amusing how a son can be so different to his own father. I assume he is your flesh and blood?", testing, you looked at him.

Kratos hummed, confirming your question.

"Then I am surprised. Compared to you he is... small. Even for his age. His mother must have been your complete opposite. A dwarf, maybe? That would explain the differences in height."

As the last question left your lips, Mimir took a sharp breath in. His golden eyes widened in shock and he glared over to Kratos, hinting that this might not have been the best thing to ask him.

But to your surprise, there was no anger in his eyes as the huge man looked at you. But something different shimmered in them. It wasn't pain, nor regret.

Nostalgia perhaps?

"Faye was a giant.", he said, without further explanation.

That made your eyebrows rise. Equally curious as surprised, you glared over to the boy.

He looked like a normal human child, not bigger nor smaller. His arms and legs were thin but not weak and he had a healthy posture.

There was no way in all of the nine worlds that there was giant blood flowing through his veins and his father was a normal man.

As the thought crossed your mind, you hesitated.

You have never thought about it before but after all you've had heard about Kratos he did not sound to be a normal man.

There was no human in him, you could sense it. But his presence didn't feel godly either. At least not the way the other gods felt.

Was he... a different kind of god?

"You're staring.", Kratos deep voice tore you out of your thoughts like a sharp pain.

Supposed, your head jumped up, with eyes wide open you looked him in the face.

"My apologies. It's just... you're different. I can feel the powers that are flowing through you. But you are no god. Not of this world, at least.", you squinted your eyes together, tilting your head. "Tell me, who is able to make a man like you? What blood creates someone with such anger in his heart?"

For a long, almost endless moment, he just stared at you. There was a shimmer in his eyes, telling you that he was a little bit impressed how quickly you had noticed.

Your choice of words did not anger him either.

For a moment, he was just a man that was impressed by the sharp mind of yours.

"That is none of your business.", he finally said and turned away.

If you wouldn't have know it better you would have sworn that he was a little hurt.

No, hurt wasn't the right word to use. He was... displeased about the memories that told of old times.

Maybe there was even a little bit of regret in him.