Five

"Mimir, do you remember my gift?", you asked, sitting at the fireplace, warming your hands.

"Of course. How could I not? It was you that healed my body and soul after Odin had tortured me for days and nights.", Mimir nodded, at least he tried. "Is anything the matter with it?"

A deep sigh left your lips. Carefully, you glared to your left.

Kratos, that was the name of the giant, and his son, Atreus were sitting at the other side of the fire.

His golden eyes were looking at you as if you were the most dangerous thing the world had to offer.

He didn't trust you and he made no secret out of this mistrust.

You smiled at him, trying to lighten the mood.

The boy smiled back. But his father just twisted his mouth, displeased and kept on glaring at you.

He had a really intimidating way of looking at you.

His thick, black eyebrows were knit together, his head was lowered a little, while he looked at you.

His eyes had the colour of melted gold.

Unsure but not feeling uncomfortable, you returned your gaze to Mimir. The head was sitting on the floor next to you.

After all, it wouldn't have been that much of a tragedy if you tried to steal it.

"Don't pay too much attention to him. He's just a big man with a grumpy face.", Mimir ensured you, joking.

Kratos did not respond to that.

But a growl left his lips that sounded a little bit like a warning. His patience was running low.

"It's fine. I'm not afraid of him. To be fully honest, I think he is the one I was looking for.", you said, looking at Kratos again.

There was no surprise in his eyes.

But he was listening.

His son on the other had, looked visibly thrilled.

"You need help?", Atreus asked, a broad smile on his face. "With what? How can we help?"

"Boy.", Kratos warned and held him back from jumping up.

A thin smile appeared on your face as you realised how lively the child was.

It reminded you a little of the other gods, that you considered family. They had just as much energy as this little one. The same fire was burning in their eyes.

Maybe that was a thing that came with young age.

You must have had this type of engere once too. But after a few hundreds of years had passed, you eventually had become a little more calm.

"It's fine. I don't really need help. I mean, I do. But not in a... normal way.", you turned to the boy. "Do you know Thor? The god of thunder, I mean."

Atreus nodded.

"How could I not? Father killed his sons, Magni and Modi.", Atreus smiled proudly.

Surprised, you raised both eyebrows and eyes the silent man up and down.

"Oh, really?", you asked him. "Well that is even better. It proved that you are capable of helping me. To be honest... it even is a big advantage. But... how are you able to kill gods? A simple human could never do such a thing. Are you cursed perhaps? Or a friend of Freya? I've heard that she likes to select humans and blesses them, with certain powers. So that her husband gets a lot of... aggressive visitors from time to time."

Displeased, Kratos hummed.

"I'm nothing of that.", he said, his voice was so deep it made you shiver.

"Huh. Are you always this... short when answering?"

"That is none of your business."

"Ah, somebody seems to dislike making new friends. I see. Looks like we are opposites then. But that isn't a bad thing, necessarily. After all, opposites attract.", you grinned, trying to be playful.

But his facial expressions didn't change. He still looked like every single drop of anger had been bound in his eyes.

You wondered if he ever smiled. Or if he was able to look at his son with pride and love.

A little ashamed, you cleared your throat and turned to Mimir again. Maybe it was smarter to not interact with Kratos too much.

He seemed to have a short temper.

The only reason why he didn't kick you out yet was because Mimir had insisted to hear you out. After all those years, it finally payed off that you had taken care of him.

"Anyways. My gift, that's where we had stopped, no? Yes. So as you may remember it was quite powerful. Powerful enough to heal the gods even. Unfortunately, Thor is a bitch and wanted this little gift for himself. So he stole it from me.", a bitter taste spread on your tongue as you recalled the day of the disaster. "And now I am... how do I say? Too powerful to be human but too weak to reclaim my place as one of the gods."

Calmly, Mimir listened to your story, while his eyes changed from time to time. Sometimes they were shimmering with satisfaction. Other times they were filled with hate and lost memories.

"So Thor did what a lot of gods wanted to do in the first place.", Mimir mumbled.

You sighed, crossing your arms in front of your chest.

"I fear so. He is... the worst of all of the fuckers. Greedy and a son of a bitch."

"You should take care of your choice of words. After all, the bitch that has given birth to him was your guardian for a long time."

"Ha, yes, Freya. As soon as she was gone Odin showed a little bit too much interest in me. It was... not very flattering. But that is not the point. The point is, I want my gift back, my full powers. But I can't achieve my goal alone. Not in this state. So I ventured out to fine a helping hand. The spirits have given me a name and a direction.", you turned to Kratos again. "They said you are skilled in cutting the endless lives of gods short. Even the valkyries knew your name. They told me you had freed them from their prisons of flesh. Allow me to tell you that this is an impressive thing to do."

Kratos nodded approving.

"Take your good wishes and admiration elsewhere. Leave. Now.", he said.