Twenty-Five

"Stay close.", Kratos said while he was holding up a glowing object to help find the way.

A little sour, you frowned. Most of the time he had addressed you purely to give orders. His naturally harsh voice didn't make it any better.

But despite him acting as if he was your leader, you couldn't help and rushed to his side. The light was cold as it touched your skin, but in return, it made his body feel a lot warmer as you grabbed his wrist.

His head twitched, he wanted to look back, but didn't.

Instead, he shook your hand off only to grab it with his. To be fair, he didn't grab your hand. He covered it entirely in his palm.

This sudden close contact surprised you, causing a short snort to escape your lips.

"Are you mocking me?", he asked, looking straight into the darkness.

You smiled thinly.

"I would never.", the smile was heard in your words.

"Then why this reaction?"

"It's nothing. I just... I did not expect you to hold hands with a stranger."

Now, a snort escaped him too. It was a short noise of amusement, sarcastic and bitter. But it clearly was a form of positive reaction.

"This is not a form of affection."

"Then why do it?"

"Hm. To keep you close."

Surprised, your eyebrows rose.

"Oh?", you smirked.

"I don't want you to run off. It's dark and we don't know if there are any traps here. I don't want to waste time saving you.", he explained in a deep voice.

Understanding, you nodded.

But even though he had a point you felt like there was more to it. His hand did not hold yours as if he wanted to drag you along. It was soft and almost gentle.

Sometimes, when he noticed that his steps were far bigger than yours, he would stop for a second and give you the chance to catch up.

It was strange.

All of a sudden he was so different. So calm and at ease with you. As if he has had a change of heart.

Was he slowly beginning to see you like an ally?

Or perhaps, he was just tired of wasting his energy on useless hate towards you?

Either way, it made your shoulders relax. He felt more like a friend now instead of a man that was bind to you by a promise that he did not believe in.

Now, you were able to see the man behind the anger. He was caring.

That made you smile.

He glared over his shoulder, probably because he noticed you moving. His facial expression was cold, but he did not look like he was displeased by your sudden kindness towards him.

He even nodded, as if to approve of the smile on your face.

The darkness in this corridor seemed to have no end. It was like a cloak hanging over your eyes, trapping out the slightest form of light. Even the soft glow of the axe was swallowed.

The blackness was like a void, trying to kill anything that wasn't like itself.

It made you feel uneasy wandering deeper into this unknown thing. Your heart beat like crazy as if it knew that you were at the edge of falling into the hands of a safe, cruel death.

Breathing was hard and as your hand squeezed the one of Kratos, you hoped that he would stop and pull you into a hug.

It was ridiculous, usually you were not like this. The darkness was your friend and companion for a long time now, you couldn't remember the last time that darkness had made you feel fear.

But this one was different.

It was evil and so different from what you were used to.

Suddenly, Kratos stopped in his tracks. He didn't turn around, but you could tell that he was checking on you.

"Careful where you step.", he said, lowering his axe so it would spread its glow on the floor. "Traps."

You threw a quick glance at it, not being interested in anything that he would show you and jumped on his back. The sudden weight made him tremble a little, a displeased grunt left his lips.

But to your surprise he did not burst out in anger. Instead, he looked over his shoulder and glared up to you, demanding an explanation.

You looked down on him, only now realising how close his face was to yours. Your arms were wrapped around his massive body, almost like a hug.

Every single one of his movements made your body react and tingle. He was filled with so much power, his muscles moved as if they were dancing.

Blushing a little, you let your eyes wander through the darkness.

"It will be easier if you are the only one walking. I won't be able to copy your movements, but you can move with me on your back, isn't it? Or am I a bother?", you twisted your mouth, a little offended by your own question.

Sure, you were bigger than the boy, but not even half of Kratos own size. If he would complain about you being too heavy you would have killed him right then and there.

He shook his head, letting out a declining sound.

You took a shaky breath.

"Good. Then move on. And please don't step on a trap. I don't want to die here."

Another sound left his mouth as he turned his head away and began to walk again. It might had been a misunderstanding, but you though that it sounded amused.

You could have sworn that there was a slim grin on his bearded face.

Was that even possible?

Was he able to smile and show happiness openly?

In that moment a thought crossed your mind, Mixed with curiosity. You wanted to see it.

Kratos smiling.

It was weird, but the sheer thought made you grin a little. It was strange to imagine this grumpy giant, smiling while trying not to look like a man of chaos.

But at the same time you thought that it would be cute to see him like this.

Shocked by your own imagination, you shook your head and hurried your face in the back of his neck. His skin was cold, but somehow it didn't bother you. It was as if a bed of snow welcomed you.

With a deep sigh, you closed your eyes and let yourself relax.

It was fine.

He was here.

The darkness would not be able to hurt you.

He wouldn't have allowed that to happen.