Chapter 21

Nickolas

I unload the suitcases with Lexi’s help and carry everything to the top floor of the cabin. She settles the cage on the coffee table and lets the birds out to explore the house, placing their pad in a corner. 

The entire house is warm and bright, even clean because I sent some wolves over before hand. I enter our bedroom with Lexi following me. I smile, remembering how she fell in love with the room the moment I first showed it to her. 

The first thing she does is collapse on top off the bed and snuggle into the pillows; she really does love this place. The room has a lot of natural elements and neutral colors and a fire place in it. The rest of the house has more bedrooms, a living room, dining room, kitchen, patio and Lexi’s favorite, a jacuzzi. 

I pull the table in the room over to the couches and set the pizza box on top of it. Lexi brings out some bottles of soda. We would unpack later but now we were both starving. She casually grabs three slices of it and begins chewing, flipping the TV on. Lexi had a huge appetite, but she was still petite although she’s grown an inch or two in the last year. 

I lean into the couch and prop my legs up to the coffee table letting Lexi prop her own on top of mine. Twenty minutes later, the pizza is gone, the soda is drained, and Lexi is asleep with her head in my lap. I stroke her hair and gaze at her; I don’t know how she does it, but every day she wakes up more beautiful than the day before. 

And it kills me knowing something is troubling her, something from her past. I also had an unfortunate moment a few years ago, but I don’t know if I even remember it correctly; all I know is that I hurt someone.

It’s getting late and the birds are already in their cage, hidden in their hanging beds. Turning off the TV I scoop Lexi up and place her on the bed. I lay down beside her and feel her cuddle into my side. Falling asleep next to the girl I love is the perfect ending to any day. 

I wake up the next morning, and find that my mate isn’t in my arms. Panicking, I jump out of bed and check every room on the floor. She isn’t in any of them and I continue down each floor. The enriching aromas from the kitchen give her away and I sprint there.

Lexi stands by the stove, still dressed in her pajamas. A plate of scrambled eggs sits on the counter beside her and bacon is sizzling on the pan. I sigh in relief and pull her to my chest. 

“Don’t ever scare me like that.” I order, inhaling her scent, which was also mixed with the food.

“I just wanted to make some breakfast.” She mutters.

“You should’ve woken me up.” 

“I thought I’d be done before you did so I didn’t bother. I’m sorry.” She gives me a small smile.

“It’s fine, it’s just…I can’t think of a single thing worse than not knowing where you are.” I confessed to her. The very thought of being without Lexi was both sickening and infuriating.

She smiles more, and pecks my lips. Instantly, I deepen it and wrap my arms around her back. She presses her body towards me and lets me in.