Chapter 20

Nickolas

The next several months were filled with nothing but happiness and peace. With Lexi calling me her mate, I felt more than satisfied. I started letting Lexi go to school alone, given she promised to text every hour, and I completed my pack work during the day. In the evenings we would play video games, take walks or visit the village for dinner.

Weekends meant taking her to the lake or going into town. It also meant taking the birds out. The three chicks we found were now a pure white color and enjoyed flying around everywhere. Lexi had managed to train them and therefore let them fly in the forest.

The birds were too domesticated to every actually live in the wild and Lexi was their adoptive mother. She had named them when we found out that one was a female and the other two were males. Angel, Comet and Jet were their names.

They had gone from formula to eating seed and only stayed in their cage at night; during the day they were allowed full access wherever they pleased, per Lexi’s request. Lexi continued her training with me and was now paying every bill and often spoke during pack meetings. She was also great at calming me down when bad news were heard, like rogue attacks or pack fights, something only a mate can resolve.

Aaron visited our home every week, often more than once. He was still very close to Lexi and I was still a little jealous. But he was still becoming my good friend and I was sure he’d be a great Beta once he came of age. 

Over Christmas break, I took the next step and linked my mind with Lexi’s. The process was very simple; on the night of a full moon, we stood alone on top of a mountain and asked the Luna to formally tie us as mates. We now had a mind link set up between us. 

Once a wolf is admitted into a pack, usually once the wolf comes at age 13, a general link is combined with their mind and the entire pack shares a connection. Private connections can be asked for close friends, family members and of course, mates.

Lexi still has yet to say that she loves me, though I say it to her daily, but I knew she would one day. I knew one day she would also forgive her aunt and uncle; she talks to them, but still has yet to call them ‘aunt’ or ‘uncle’ or to talk further about her identity.

Lexi was 16 years old now and had learned to drive. Specifically learned to drive my car; it appears she is greatly attracted to my car. I don’t blame her though, who wouldn’t be.

Her 16th birthday called for a large party for the entire pack as well as some neighboring packs. Lexi was very well known for being my mate and news of her age became the trendy gossip.

It was becoming increasingly difficult to restrain myself around her, especially at night when she wore her sleeping clothes which consisted of shorts and tank tops and the door was locked. I know what I always want to do every night, but I find myself taking cold showers instead. 

Lexi seemed perfectly happy now and was very loving towards me. She consistently hugged me and kissed me and always spoke to me in a kind manner. Her spunk was still there and during arguments she pushed me to the couch. But I was happy nonetheless.

The one thing that was still terrible for her was that she would occasionally cry when left alone. Recall the time I left for a meeting almost a year ago and returned to find Lexi crying on the balcony. Similar events occurred every few months but she still refused to tell me. All I could really do was hold her in my arms and stay calm despite the fact that I wanted to do whatever I could to fix it.